Thursday, June 25, 2020

Project 365, Week 25

Our first week officially on summer break, while for the first time still in tax season! Life is still strange everywhere you look, but there is also a return to some of the things we know and enjoy.

June 15
Our school district organized an "item exchange"for us to pick up locker contents and to drop off text books and Chrome books. I was impressed with the coordination and efficiency. Three kids, three different schools, one stop!


I had to open the plastic bags to rummage around for library & text books thought it was sweet that Amanda had a picture of her cousins hung in her locker. :)


We picked up Izaya and took him out to dinner to celebrate his graduation. He has an understanding that the life he wants is not going to be handed to him and has dreams and a good work ethic. He's a remarkable kid.


Memory lane...this was his 5th grade graduation...


and this was at Disney, just a week or two after he first came to live with us. I could never fully express or even sort through all the emotions and feelings that are attached to this foster care journey. But sitting with him, celebrating his high school graduation, my heart was full, and for the 10,001st time, I marveled that God would have chosen me for this. I think of a favorite verse in Corinthians 13

Now we see things imperfectly, like puzzling reflections in a mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity. All that I know now is partial and incomplete, but then I will know everything completely, just as God now knows me completely.


June 16
My friend and I took our 8th grade graduates, who are friends, and their little brothers and headed to the beach for the day to celebrate their accomplishments.



June 17
Avery had a babysitting job this week and Aiden joined her so that left Amanda home alone for long periods of time. We're working through how to most help her make use of some of her days. Did you know...there are 168 hours in a week...when you're 13 years old, that is a LOT of time!


June 18
Researching something or other. I love to overhear their conversations.


June 19
Avery babysat all week and Aiden joined her for a couple days and finally they had Friday off! They went for a 12 mile bike ride with Pop and then hit the hot tub. This was the "hi mom" they sent to me while I was at work. :)


While the girls had youth group, Aiden and Alayna battled it out in Monopoly.


After youth group is streamed online, the girls get on a video calls with their separate small groups. Amanda's time with her group is clearly life-giving to her.


June 20
While the house slept, Shaun and I enjoyed a date in the hot tub, complete with meaningful adult conversation. :)


Aiden's friend from school got baby goats so he went over to play for a bit. Surprisingly, he's got quite a bit of farmer in him. :)


We had a family picnic with a luau theme...the kids wore the garb that Grandpa brought back with him when he visited Hawaii.




Hours of fun on the trampoline and water slide...the cousins delight in being together...my kids have just begun to understand what a special thing they have family-wise.











June 21
Father's Day! We threw around a few options, but ended up doing a basement project, where it was cool. Because it was Father's Day there was much teamwork and cooperation and next to no fighting, for the win!


Three of us worked on the flooring and two of us cleaned out/organized a section of the storage area.



Looking back I don't remember how or why but, of my own accord I began working out consistently when I was 13ish and never looked back. In these 30+ years I've had a wide range of workout equipment/spaces/programs, some years at the gym but most at home and this is by far the most amazing space I've had. I'm so grateful...it feels like pure luxury! The end result, at least for now...


We ate a late lunch and then played games.



Shaun called about a tee time, not expecting to get anything, but they were wide open so he and Aiden were off in a flash. The girls and I took the opportunity to go visit my dad. He's one of the good ones and I'm so thankful for him.


1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you've stayed connected with Izaya and you can see the fruit of the heart and soul you put into this journey. His life pivoted because of you. The basement looks great and that Luau party looks tremendously fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.