Monday, November 5, 2012

Hurricane Sandy

*Please note...I realize the hurricane caused everything from minor inconveniences to utter devastation all along the East Coast.  We have been praying for those affected and I don't want to in any way minimize the losses that have been felt or the severity of the storm in so many communities.  This is just our little miracle in the midst of the storm.*

With the promise of Hurricane Sandy, school was cancelled for Monday and Tuesday, as were all the activities that are built into our daily lives, week after week.

There was no school, no football practice, no cheerleading practice, no biological family visits, no voice lessons, no homework, no gym, no therapist appointment, no foster care continuing education, no social worker visits.

Having had the show the night prior, the house all slept in.  Z was the first one up at 9:30 and they slowly trickled down, until the last, Amanda, at 11:56.  We all stayed in sweatpants the entire day.  

The kids watched a movie together and snuggled and giggled.  We played game after game, I baked homemade bread, cooked several meals and we dined...all of us gathered around the same table, at the same time, in the dining room (imagine that!!).  

I painted Avery' fingernails since she can't wear it to school, Amanda and I took a hot bath together and  shared a deep conversation (and several not so deep, as is her way :).  Shaun and I puttered on the computer a bit, but nothing you could really call work.  In the evening we ALL gathered and watched a family movie.

It felt SO wonderful yet SO strange....then it dawned on me...its because it had been SO long.  I racked my brain, trying to remember the last time our family was home together for an entire day without somewhere to be or something pressing to do.  I could not think of a time.  The last time it would have even been possible was in May, possibly going back to December or early January.  TOO long!  In every way it was bliss.  Refreshing to my soul, good medicine for our family, such as it is.






 


 
 The next day we ventured out for some fresh air and exercise.  Good times.






 I noticed Aiden had been missing for a bit, so I went searching for him.  Put himself down for a nap...

 In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, LORD, make 
me dwell in safety.
Psalm 4:8

3 comments:

  1. I smiled through this whole post!!! This world causes us to keep a pretty fast pace...I am glad you got this beautiful day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I smiled too - I'm glad you got this calm in the midst of the storm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an unexpected blessing to have some quality down time. Glad you were able to enjoy the blessing of it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.