Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Project 365, Week 33

A week for the books, which is saying something for us with our relatively high tolerance for crazy. Dakota's mom got in a bad spot and I ended up offering for her to stay with us for a couple nights. I won't share much of it here, but it was a week. So much hurt in this world. And so much to be thankful for.

August 9
Its something I've done dozens of times...at a moment's notice, putting clean sheets on a spare bed (or one that's made spare by a kid, usually Aiden, sleeping on the floor). I always spend the room prep time praying, reminding God that I'm in over my head, that I'll face things too big for me unless He steps in and helps me (to be clear, that's pretty much most of my life).

When someone new comes, I'm acutely aware of what it might seem like from their perspective. Dakota's mom, K, came to our home and I introduced her to the only person there, Avery's friend Sarah, who doesn't normally live with us. We chatted in the kitchen for a while as I was making lunch for the crew. At one point she stopped and said, "where's Dakota?". "Oh, he's at "the building"." Then I have to open the house door to look out in the garage/driveway to check which one of about five cars are available for me to take so I can grab keys. Welcome to your first 15 minutes in our world, K! 😳


August 10

August 11
I paused in the driveway of the building, breathing in the gorgeous morning light.


August 12
Our "third daughter", Sarah, stayed at our house for the week...she worked on a couple college classes during the day and went to youth group camp with the kids every evening. She was the only one home around noon and she texted me saying someone had come to the door, she thought maybe a social worker? In two minutes I was home from the office to find an unannounced social worker I had never met. After four hours of conversations with me, Dakota's mom (who arrived later), a supervisor, etc, it was decided that Dakota needed to stay with us and his mom had to leave.

I've never been on the removal part of the foster care transaction and it was brutal. I was taken completely by surprise and there were many tears.

I have so much to say about it all and have such a different perspective on the whole thing than I did when we started out 13 years ago. Its all just really hard for all involved.


And then there's the sweetest teenage girls rummaging through the kitchen at 10pm after youth camp at church. 

August 13
My dad invited Aiden out for some fishing on the boat. We met him at the water with a toddler and dog. Even the few quiet minutes there were life-giving.





Ready to head off to the last night, after a fun-filled week with cousins and friends (Sarah left early for worship team practice).


When Shaun and I found out about youth camp, we fantasized about how we'd spend five hours for five evenings without any children. The week didn't pan out at all how we thought, to say the least. Can't say how much I love and admire this guy who loves so big and is especially good with little kids and older people. We live a really crazy life but we're good partners.


August 14


Saturdays at the building....math summer packets and naps.



The boys, waiting to leave for church.


August 15
Cleaning, packing, laundry...


And then the girls and I were off to Kelly's bridal shower. Very soon she and C4 will be married!!!
It was such a lovely event and beautiful day!  We got to sit with family and play some silly games and honestly, it felt like such a normal person thing to do....a short reprieve from the nonsense that has been my life. So excited for them and for all the festivities these next 40 days. Our family table was doing some math about all the showers, graduations and weddings to come. We didn't come up with a number but its significant. We decided when we find dresses on clearance, it would be a good idea to snatch them up. ;)









High on the 'Thankful For' list....cousins!




We went straight to the field. The girls changed into their soccer clothes in the car and played in the shade. Dakota wasn't feeling great, so he snuggled on my lap for most of the game.

Then we went home, showered, loaded the car and set off for a couple days in Maine.


 

1 comment:

  1. Your life is nuts!!! What a week! Even by your standards, that is just a whole lot! You continue to die to self and offer yourself a living sacrifice, a wiling vessel. God continues to use you in the biggest of ways and the mundane. I'm sorry for all the feelings, pain, hurt, fear that came about this week. Proud of you for continually stepping into scary roles. Thanks for the amazing shower pix.....and I LOVE the pic of Dad's boat.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.