Saturday, July 7, 2018

Project 365, Week 25

It was a full week with many blessings. I'm thankful for this little space where I can pause and record a portion of what's happening in our lives. 

June 17
Little Dakota was born the day before so I was at the hospital first thing in the morning the next day. I  felt honored to be R's first phone call when they got to the hospital. He was a bundle of nerves and emotions and wanted to talk with me and share his news. Those are the kinds of things that keep us going in this foster care journey. And the baby sure is sweet!



Soccer tournament, Day 2. We all went so we could be with Shaun on Father's Day. He's not a flashy kind of dad, he's really at his best when he's just with us. He lives his every day life so faithfully and purposefully.




He ended the day investigating a broken fridge. :( We take for granted that he knows how to fix everything and he does it well.


June 18
We stopped at the hospital again so Shaun could say hi to R and meet the baby.


We all met at my dad's house to celebrate Father's Day. When we get together, we have enough for two soccer teams! :)









June 19
After my surgery three years ago, I was set up with a visiting nurse service. I had several nurses, all amazing, but one ended up being the primary regular one. For eight months (which still blows my mind even though I lived it) she/they came to my house every other day to do wound care. We became pretty close and we've stayed in touch. This morning we met for coffee...I gave her bags of unused medical supplies that I not longer need and she gave me some running socks. :)


Good river times.


June 20
Last day of school. I tearfully wrote a note to each of the teacher's and staff who have greatly impacted our kids lives over these seven years. Its been such a special school to us...two blocks from our house and affordable with staff who care and are invested. I'm so, so grateful we've had this opportunity.


The first day I walked away from the school after dropping Avery off in first grade I felt like I'd been punched in the gut. I felt a similar feeling picking the kids up from St. Mary's for the last time.


But the last day of school is still the last day of school...yay!!


We used to go directly to DQ to celebrate. This year, Avery went to a friend's pool and Amanda went to a friend's lake. Though I happy they have friends and fun things to do, a piece of my was silently saying, "but wait guys...what about our cones, our tradition??"


June 21
Graduation Day for K! She's the first in her biological family to graduate from high school, something most of us can't comprehend. She's had to overcome so much to be able to walk across that stage and we're so proud of her!





When we signed up for foster care, we inadvertently signed up our extended families as well. They've been champs about supporting us through the years, not hesitating to dig in with whatever kid we happen to have. In addition to this crew who came to the ceremony, K received many beautiful cards and gifts. She so appreciates feeling like she has a family.


June 22
Errands and shopping and packing....




And, we're off! :) Amy started a group text, so we got to follow all the pieces of the family as they set out for our family reunion.

June 23
By the magic of coffee and Daddy, we arrived in Outer Banks about 10am. We spent several hours at the public beach waiting for our house to be ready, smug about the fact that we were not sitting in the long traffic line getting onto the island.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.