Monday, September 3, 2018

Project 365, Week 34

It would be difficult for me to overstate how hard this week was. This sibling set we had on respite for 10 days was beyond challenging. I'll leave it at that, because there aren't even really words.  On the bright side, I got LOTS of time outside, usually at a park where I didn't think we'd run into other people. N and J will not quickly be forgotten by our family.

August 19
While Shaun took his grandparents and the kids to visit family, I took the kids to a playground where few people were. We spent six hours there trying to get tired out and not being at the house.


August 20
Nana and Grandpa John snuck in one last poker game before heading out.


In the late afternoon Avery and I headed out for a special getaway. I'd booked it before we knew what the repsite kids were like, but Shaun insisted we still go. I won't say too much about our time to preserve Avery's privacy, but I would highly recommend the Passport2Purity program to anyone who has an 11-14 year old. We live in a crazy world and Shaun and I believe its imperative to be intentional about teaching our children, even the hard conversations. It was SO special!




August 21
Shopping at the outlets and dinner out.


August 22
We woke up to a lovely rainy morning, perfect for "sleeping in".



We got home at noon, exchanged hugs and Shaun said, tag...you're it! Thankfully the boy was in a day program so we "only" had the girl during the day. We made use of the lake in our new town.


August 23
Even though it was challenging to engage the kids, Avery was the most successful.


August 24
Veggie Tales over breakfast bought us minutes and I was reminded how very funny those writers are. Such brilliance!

Shaun got our three on the soccer field. Amanda aged up a level, so she's playing on Avery's team now and Shaun is coaching Aiden's comp team. It will be a fun fall!


August 25
My mom takes the kids to a huge picnic every year, which they look forward to. She sent me this picture of Aiden climbing. :)


While our three were at the picnic, we ran some errands with N, who seemed to do better being out and about. Shaun was so diligent and sweet with her all week.



He also spent time with the 18 year-old, talking money, mechanics, etc, as we work to transition her into the adult world. He gives and gives for his family. Shaun is our resident super hero and I'm so thankful for him.


Our 9th day with the kids and we were able to get 10 minutes of a baseball game in...no one was hit in the head with a bat and no windows were broken....progress! Avery was proud of the fact that she'd taught them to stand correctly and swing with two hands on the bat.




2 comments:

  1. I still just cannot even!!! You and Shaun are heroes...so, so glad this week is in the rearview! And the pics of you and Avery on her P2P are so sweet! Those days will be precious memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patrick and I were hiking this morning and I was talking to him about your faithfulness, long before I even read this post. You were just on my mind for some reason! Even though we’re only Internet friends, you continue to leave a lasting impression on me with your faithfulness and dedication to your family and others’ families too. You are making a difference for the kingdom of God! I hope the coming week offers some rest where it’s needed most.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.