Sunday, October 10, 2021

Project 365, Week 39

Such a fun and crazy week! Its not often there is a family wedding and it was so great. C4 and Kelly chose to get married on their five year dating anniversary.

September 20
I stopped in at three stores and only one had any boys dress clothes. I bought everything they had in Aiden's size so he could try on things at home. He used to LOVE to dress up and he was so happy for an excuse to do so again. 



September 21
Morning stretches.


I picked Dakota up from school and I was giving him the rundown of afternoon and evening activities. I told him he would be going to soccer games with Uncle Shaun and I would be going to a dinner party. He was distraught at the news that it was for grown-ups only and he could not go. We went back and forth about this the entire ride home...him expressing his deep desire to go, me reaffirming all the fun he would have not being there.

He was hanging out in the bathroom with me while I got ready and at one point he stepped on the scale. He looked down, whipped his head around and with a confident grin exclaimed, Auntie! This says I CAN go!! 

While we're talking about cute things toddlers say, Dokota has been going to preschool for a month now and the only friend or classmate he will talk about is Goliath. Despite our many attempts to clarify, "Goliath" is part of all the stories. :)


I snuck in the first half of the game to watch my favorite goalie in action.


And then it was wedding rehearsal time!!! Kelly really wanted me to take their engagement and wedding photos, even knowing I'd been out of the game for seven years. I was completely honored and excited, until a couple days before when I started to really doubt myself and feel the weight of all these years of missed experience. 

My friend Meg readily agreed to be my right hand women...we've done many weddings together and it was very reassuring knowing I'd have a partner. We went to the rehearsal to get a feel for how the ceremony would go and talk through our plan.


My sister hosted a  "grown-ups only" dinner party in her neighbor's back yard. The weather cooperated and Amy saw to every detail. 


I got to sit next to the mother of the groom. :)


During open mic time, many from their wedding party of 16 spoke about them individually and as a couple. C4 (Colombo IV) and Kelly have surrounded themselves with a supportive and fun community who keep them accountable and inspired. Amazing.


September 22
Lots of equipment and supplies came in this week, mostly replacing the very things I sold before we moved, thinking I couldn't justify keeping it all as a hobbist photographer. SO fun!


I got to tag along with Amy and Renna to check out the reception facility. With a tight timeline, I was trying to figure out an optimal location for portraits, while taking into consideration the large wedding party and the very real possibility of rain.


A quick run to the store with the boys, buying a size up. 


Parenting a 3 year-old this second time around, I allow running down the big, open aisle in a nearly empty store. The grandparent in me says, what's the harm?


September 23
Preparing for the big day ahead.



Family arrived!!! :)


September 24
Wedding day!! It was just a great day. So fun, so special, so beautiful. And also, so crazy. The next generation is getting married, the first of 25 nieces and nephews. Amy and Colombo have a child old enough to get married. My sister is a mother-in-law. Images of moments flashed through my head like a rolodex from the moment C4 arrived on the scene. When you take a glance back, its easy to see that the cliche is true....life is made up of moments. They all matter and add up. 

I have over 4,000 photos I could share, but I just selected a few that for various reasons stood out.


Freshly married, the new bride and groom are looking at each of their parents. So much communicated in that one moment.


C4's two grandpas. Loving, involved, supportive, consistent, welcoming. Their strengths and failures, love and faithfulness have built a beautiful legacy that they get to watch grow.


This group does so much life together in and out of church and most of the guys C4 has been close friends with since birth.


Dad and Kiki

Mom and Russ

My dear friend and second shooter+, Meg. For sure couldn't have done the day without her.


Amy and Colombo. They are an amazing parenting team and I'm thankful for the trail they've blazed for much of my parenting. I love all these people.


I was at the wedding, with gorgeous Amanda...


...and gorgeous Sarah and Avery.


Such a sweet love.

Maddy gave a generous, humorous and personalized toast.


My dad said the blessing over the meal. I have watched him stand up in front of people and talk to or about God thousands of times. He's such a genuine human and I'm so proud of who he is and what he does. When I saw this picture Meg took I thought...that feels like home to me.


He rallied four of his siblings to travel from Oregon/California/Idaho. It was special to see them all together.


Ahhh...I don't have words.


The dance party was so fun!! There was high participation most of the night. Family and friends enjoying each other.


How much do I love this man who is happy to stand back and observe and hold his daughter's heels.


Not a great photo, but two of my favs. Though they've lived a distance away physically, they have always been close and involved and there for all the majors. Two of the best.


Cousins!!


I caught Amanda and Shaun out on the dance floor having a blast...


...and then Amanda wanted to take a picture of Shaun and I dancing. :)



(missing *just* 6 cousins)


The end to a perfect day, the beginning of a lifelong adventure.


September 25
I couldn't think of having so much family in for the weekend and not have us all get together. So I threw it out to any and all that we'd have an open house for the day. Lunch was simple and Amy helped and we got some special time with people we don't get to see very often. My aunt, who I havent seen in year and years, dove right into deep, heart-level conversation right there in the kitchen. We talked of hard things and suffering and it was beautiful. The family connection is real.







My little sister flew in from Texas and the four of us were together for the briefest of time. She and my brother are two of the funniest people I know.


We followed the last guests out to go to the girls away game. I didn't even bring my camera, but with my phone I happened to catch Avery's GOAL just seconds into the second half!


September 26
I was painfully tired and worn and I really don't like fairs. But, my friend and co-leader thought a day at the Big E would be a great way for the TBQ kids to cash in some points they've earned.

The day was beautiful and Katie was so excited and passionate about The Big E (which pulls in much of New England), it was enough to feed my energy for the day. But wow, the crowds and "fair-ness" of it!









 

1 comment:

  1. What a week! I'm so glad you did it along with me. I have distinct memories of Sara and Jay's wedding and watching Jay's mom walk through the day with her sister. Being very sistery...I thought, "that's exactly what I envision for me and Lisa on these milestone days." The image has remained through these last 8 years. I'm so blessed that no matter what I'm walking through, you're right there by my side. Thank you for the beautiful pictures and rallying all the energy and equipment. Thank you for always being by my side. LOVE YOU TONS!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.