August 3
Just before bed the night before, the decision was made for me to carry out our original plan for me to go on this business trip to help Shaun host our advisors and their significant other.
Seated on the plane and in the skies, I felt like I had just sprinted up a hill and my hands were on my knees, my lungs gasping for air. The week had been impossibly full.
Additionally, the yard work I'd done at Avery and Jack's new place had taken a turn and I was quickly losing sight in my eyes from the poison ivy spreading.
We had a couple hours to stall in the airport, so I figured out how to call a random doctor through my insurance company, since I don't have a PCP. What seems to be the problem? Uh...steroids, please.
What a sight to see the glorious landscape of Utah.
August 4
Sunrise in a new place!
Our hotel had vines coming out of the planters...I walked wide away from it, just to be safe.
The conference breakfast started at 630am, so our days started early and were long.
Beforehand I gave my husband the option of not having me by his side but he was completely unbothered by my appearance. The poor guy has seen it all with me, bless him.
This is how I showed up to the first day of the conference. I am such a big fan of this concept:
stay in your lane!
My thoughts wandered as I saw the women around me appearing so put together. Where they had squeezed in a nail salon appointment, my nails were rough and had traces of dirt from yard work. Where they had makeup on, my eyes were too closed shut to be able to apply anything. Where they seemed like a boss lady, essential to the daily runnings of their office, I've had to become non-essential because of how unreliable my health has made me.
But I reminded myself to stay in my lane. I don't know what insecurities the makeup may hide and unless I'm doing life with someone, and often even then, I don't really know what other people are going through.
This is our company with their significant others (just missing Avery and Jack). Shaun gave a heartfelt speech, recalling some of our history and revealing some future plans, along with expressing sincere appreciation to the team we have. It truly is a special group, and so fun to be with, too.
It was a short walk to the Mormon Temple.
August 5
By the time we wrapped up our conversation the next session was well underway, so I headed outside to get some air and sun. In the middle of this small park was a piano, and I stopped to listen to the maintenance guy play a tune while he didn't think anyone was around. I love living in a world where there are random pianos that people stop to play at.
Quick picture of the team as the conference wrapped up. We opted to skip the last night's bash and do our own thing. It was a quick change and a delicious mexican dinner before we headed out for our adventure.
We took a boat cruise on Great Salt Lake. Its the largest saltwater lake in the western hemisphere and second saltiest, the Dead Sea being first. Once the boat was anchored, we all got all and swam/floated. The water was so buoyant, making it easy to float and it was possible to stand straight and not have to tread at all. Oh my! We laughed and had so much fun...and the sunset!!
What we didn't realize was that the park gates closed at sunset, and it was over a mile from where we were to the locked gate where we were meeting our Uber. The local who let us know and who also was the one in charge of locking the gate for the evening allowed us to hitch a ride in his truck. I rode in the cab with him, others in the back and some chose to walk.
Ryan sat up front with the Uber driver, who asked Ryan if he liked music. 😀
Who am I that You keep me on Your mind?
God, I'm just grateful for You
God, I'm just grateful for You
All my life, You've been right here by my side
God, I'm just grateful for You
God, I'm just grateful for You
God, I'm just grateful for You
All my life, You've been right here by my side
God, I'm just grateful for You
August 6
Our flight was late morning, so we all had breakfast together. Good thing, because that would be our last and only meal of the day. Flight things, like radar going down at a middle-of-the-country airport, caused boarding and unboarding and we faced the possibility of having to stay another night in a hotel. By the skin of our teeth it worked out and finally we arrived home about 1am.
August 7
The four kids did great while we were away, Amy thought to supply them with some meals and Aiden is already the main cook of the family. They volunteered at VBS each morning and worked their jobs.
Amy sent me some pics of my crew from the week.
And from Amanda, Levi's first day at Shady.
Portions of my family gathered to see my niece Lainie who was home briefly before heading back to college.
Then we pivoted to a weekend with most of the other side of the family. Nathan planned three days of fun and torture and being together. We took over the house one last time before turning it over to tenants until next summer.
My wonder of a husband lead the required annual meeting of the partners. The partners, ages 8-21 were fully engaged and participating...what a gift to them that they're learning these financial and business concepts at their age...they really lean in and pay attention. Their comments and questions make for a pretty entertaining time and its just special to pause and remember Great-Grandpa's hard work and legacy that has made this possible. He took such delight in these kids and I know he'd be pleased.
August 8
Fifty hill climbs, just because. So proud of the kids for digging deep. There was little complaining, just putting their heads down and getting the job done. I was cheerleader and ice cube passer-outer.
Straight to the pool!
I left after the fireworks show, missing many hours of fun, most notably King OogaBooga and Crazy Uno.
August 9
The next morning started off slowly, with people in and out for various church and other things. We had another beautiful day to be together just enjoying lake life.
Yay for cousin time! We are blessed!






































































































No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.