Friday, April 4, 2008

The Excellent Wife, Ch 2

A Wife's Understanding of God

My God is the loving ruler over all the earth, and me. My purpose in life is to serve my Creator and to give Him glory. When I keep that in mind, then I don't have to fight with the selfishness that I often feel. If I can keep my heart and mind on my purpose for being here, then the rest comes so much easier.

Through this week's reading, I was reminded again that God has planned for my ministry to be serving my husband and being a helper to him. This is His high calling for me! As a loving Father, He has created good works for me to do. These include not only what I do in my relationship with my husband, but my attitude and the motive of my heart. It's so easy (too easy) for me to judge others, specifically, my husband to see if he is doing his job right. In reality, my huband is responsible to God for his actions and decisions...its between them, not me. I have to ask, "Am I doing the good works that God intended for me?'"

Since God is the "determiner of what is right" then I can rest in that and not be afraid. It's true, if I'm honest, that the reason I am afraid to do what God wants is that I am afraid I won't get my way. That's where having the knowledge of my purpose in life comes in. Simply put, it's not about me. God wants me to be "joyful and fulfilled" and that happens when I "actively choose" to place myself under my husband's authority. It's my choice.

"When you are under your husband's (limited by God) authority, you are really putting yourself in the safest possible place-in God's will". God's will. Yes, I know without thinking twice that that is where I want to be in all parts of my life.

Now that I am a parent, I have so much more insight into God's love for me. One of the most basic needs my children have is for me to keep them safe and out of danger's way. At ages 2 and 1, they do not see "the big picture" and don't understand why I insist they stay on the sidewalk on our walks or hold my hand in parking lots. Often, they see my instructions (commands, really) as restrictive and unfair but as you fellow parents know, I am doing it out of love for them...I don't want any harm to come to them...I want them to stay where it is safe.

Similarly, albeit on a grander scale, God has set up a protective structure; for me to be under my husband's authority. "His plan was devised from His perfectly pure heart of love." Sometimes its hard to understand, but I will never be all God has intended for me until I choose to put myself under my husband's authority. That's where it is safe for me...that's where I am in the sweet spot of God's will.

4 comments:

  1. Amen! I had to remind myself a couple of times this week that it's not my responsibility to make sure my husband does what he's supposed to do. God is perfectly capable of doing that. Although, I don't think a gentle reminder from me is out of the question. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I know what you mean about getting a different perspective when you have kids...although we know more about the world than our kids...compare to God we do not know much. God is the all in all, he sees the whole picture. We need to put our trust in him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so hard to submit our sense of "being in control." Trusting His purpose is tough but brings such freedom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your analogy of your children was very good; sometimes we too don't know why God tells us to do this or that, but we are safe if we follow Him. Looking forward to chapter 3.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.