Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Aiden in Twelve Months

Aiden turned one a week ago!  Here's how we celebrated his day...
Splash park after naps.  He's still not too sure about it but still managed to get wet.
The girls were pretty sure that the most special thing we could do for Aiden would be to take him to Chuck E. Cheese, but Shaun and I are still a bit scarred from our last visit there so we settled for the mall where we rode on the carousel (with a tight grip on daddy's shirt)
and played on the play scape

We tried to justify that Aiden's favorite restaurant must be Outback, but we could not so we ended up at a place that gives balloons out.  During dinner the girls suggested that we get him dessert and sing to him, so the wait staff came over and sang to him.  This was his dumbfounded express the entire time.

Now here's the post I started back on July 13:

Deep breath...I looked at the clock a little after 7 this morning and thought...oh, if I could redo this year!  I'd be holding a warm, slimy baby in my arms right this very minute...someone I didn't know, but would enjoy the next year learning about and getting to know.  But...I can't, so I will continue to enjoy him in the moment...this moment.

Aiden is talking!  In fact, much of what he says sounds like actual words, but knowing we are his proud parents, we are sure we are just imagining it.  These words are confirmed...

doggy
kitty
uh-oh!
Pop
balloon
yucky
Daddy
Momma (once, only one time, but clear)

He sings while dancing and clapping hands.  He actually sings part of one of the VBS songs that the girls have played in their room roughly 300 times.  He sings the uh, uh, uh, oh, uh, uh, uh, oh part, and right on cue every time...so funny.

He has a new tooth on the bottom for a total of 7.

In all these 12 months he never once peed with his diaper off, except in the bathtub...will that mean early (and easy) potty training? :)

He stands up unassisted so he can play with both hands and will take a step here or two there to complete whatever mission he is on, but still no walking.  Actually, Aiden still prefers to be held, specifically by me.

He's become choosy about the food he eats.  Still loves all manner of fruit but tosses most vegetables aside.  I know his tastes will change over time and for his sake I hope so...could make for some long nights at the dinner table for him. :)

He weighs 20 pounds exactly which puts him in the 15th percentile...progress!  His head is still measuring big, but has not grown since last time, so they are not worried.

Shaun and I both agreed that while this year has gone by fast, it feels like there was never a time when he was not part of our family.  He transitioned in so smoothly from day one and has taken hold of our hearts forever.  His sisters adore him and watch out for him.  We are truly blessed.




"Aiden, do your silly face"

My son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you, 
turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding, 
and if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, 
and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, 
then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God.
Proverbs 2:1-5

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Aiden! So much fun hearing where the other '09 boys are in their development/tastes. I am so with you on the veggie thing. He won't eat a single veggie! So frustrating. He's my biggest eater and yet my pickiest eater. He doesn't even like strawberries and blueberries. What?! Trey has stalled at 8 teeth. He hasn't cut any teeth since we were out there in Feb! But hey...I've gotten 6 months off from teething! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday sweet boy!! Can't wait to give you big birthday hugs in the nursery!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.