Wednesday, January 30, 2019

State of the House ~ January

I'm going to attempt to reinstate my monthly State of the House...a little look back at the month on a whole. Its always incredible to me how much life and often change can happen in just 30 days.

For sure the most significant change for us was K moving into her own place. I love her and she left on good terms, but there was a growing tension as she started to get closer to freedom, as is natural when you're 19, I think. The positive change was felt almost immediately in our home when she moved. So far we've seen her weekly and J has spent a weekend night at her house each weekend. She's busy with work and figuring out who she wants to be and working through full-time school. I'm super proud of her for all she's accomplished and all she is handling.

January is long and slow and we have relatively few activities going on. We spent many an evening at home working on puzzles and playing games and reading, all while listening to our Showtunes station. I stopped to breathe in moments when the kids and I were in the same couple rooms working in the kitchen and on the puzzle and were all singing along to a song from Wicked or Greatest Showman. Or Amanda and I waltz our way across the floor. There's so much magic in those ordinary moments. Plenty of moments are spent arguing or yelling, which maybe makes the sweet ones sweeter.

Avery is taking a cooking class at school and wanted to try dinner a few nights. Given the choice of cooking or doing dishes, I'd always choose doing the dishes...maybe we'll be able to work out a deal! :)

January also holds my birth day. I used to be mixed about the day...another year older combined with New Year's resolution/contemplation activity left me sometimes feeling unsure about another birthday. Now, post-cancer, I'm really just thankful to have been here another year. It almost wasn't but it is so I can't waste a minute begrudging grayer hair and more wrinkles. They are a gift.

Here's a few snapshots from our month, many were taken by the kids.

















1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.