Thursday, October 13, 2022

Project 365, Week 39

This was wedding week and all the goodness that comes with anticipation, family gathered, the making of a new family. It was a really sweet time of celebration and being together.


September 26
My only picture of the day...I took it to send to Kim who gifted this plant to me several years ago. After killing many plants over the years, no one is more surprised than me that I can keep plants alive and flourishing. 

I see looking back that it was right to be prioritizing my little children and full life. Just a silly example of how important it is to stay in our own lane. If you wish you had a green thumb but don't, maybe someday you'll be able to invest more care into plants when your children can feed and dress themselves. I'm glad that 15 years ago I shelved the idea instead of comparing and getting down on myself.


September 27
I spent some frustrating time trying to learn the nuances of my second camera flash. After many fruitless youtube videos, it was the owner's manual for the win.


September 28
Downtown Hartford was enchanting with gorgeous temps and clear skies. I picked up a repaired lens that I'd dropped off a month earlier and was finally ready (with no time to spare before the wedding!!) Amanda was with me, and I wanted to stay and explore and take pictures, but we were on a tight schedule.








These two cuties spotted me watching them on the sidelines.


Super Fanning with my favorite guy.


September 29
I was invited to a talk on nutrition as it relates to dealing with cancer. I was tracking for much of it, but then they recommended cutting out all fruit and root vegetables and stated that their patients who are actively in chemotherapy are taking around 120 supplements daily. I didn't completely discount it, but wow.

I did come away with this reminder by the door. Yes, faith IS strength, faith IS hope. 


September 30
Day Before the Wedding Day! In all ways I felt as prepared as I was able. I'd been studying and learning from the experts for months, my equipment had been serviced and gathered and I was a bonus week removed from treatment. Finally, we were here!!


My sister allowed me the honor of riding to the venue with the girls, where they unpacked what felt like double of what the vehicle capacity was. We were greeted with the good news that the ceremony space could be set up that afternoon.




It got so exciting and real as the rest of the family started to file in.



Mason's parents put so much thought and intention into the evening. It was intimate and meaningful and the perfect way to kick off the official wedding celebrations.



October 1
Wedding Day!! I was so honored that Maddy and Mason trusted me enough to be their photographer. It was special and significant to have a "back stage pass" to the day, sharing the day so intimately with my sister and nieces. Much of the day had a relaxed, fun feel to it. 

There is so much to say about the day and an obscene number of photos to share, but for now I'll just share this unique view of the wedding. Meg usually snaps a photo of me in action when we are covering a wedding, but I found "bonus" material this time as I was going through photos. Me, doing something I love with the people I love. How blessed I am!













Amy and Colombo, Shaun and I...we made so many memories when we were Maddy and Mason's age, when it was just the four of us. And then slowly kids started to arrive, and just like that, they are getting married and starting lives of their own. It. is. crazy! Its been such a privilege doing life with them, watching them parent intentionally and diligently. They've raised some really neat people.


And this is one of my favorite photos of the couple. I hope they have the next 70 years together, laughing, loving and enjoying each other.



Just before my family left for home that night (for early morning soccer practice) and I went back to my hotel room to collapse and back up memory cards, we realized we hadn't gotten a photo together. It's rare that we all are this dressed up at the same time. 


October 2
In the morning the extended family had brunch together at the hotel and then we all gradually congregated at our house. My mom's two siblings came from New York and Tennessee (and my sister from Texas) and we wanted to optimize the time we had together. Aunt Bonnie and Melody planned and coordinated the event so that we could all be together and share a meal. Amy and I didn't get involved at all. It was a lovely, low-key evening of connecting and watching football.









 

2 comments:

  1. I needed a tissue warning!!! Gosh, you know what got me? Your paragraph about the 4 of us being Maddy and Mason's age! Can you believe that?!?! And to think how much SWEET LIFE we've done together since then. THANK YOU for emptying yourself for the sake of Maddy....mentally, emotionally, physically, and with all the weeks of time and energy you devoted to this weekend. Mostly, the love that you have lavished on my family since Day 1. Goodness, I'm just a mess over here. I love you so!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful week! I can't wait to see some of the wedding photos - I'm sure they are amazing because you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.