Friday, June 14, 2024

Project 365, Week 22

We were busy this week doing small projects and yard work in preparation for our graduation party. It was maybe more work than we had in us but it was nice that we did much of it together. Also, it was the last week of classes at school so there was a bit of cramming to get assignments in before the close of the quarter. To go with all that, we had some special celebrations!

May 27
On this Memorial Day, Avery and Jack were still in New Hampshire with his family. They made dinner for everyone in Jack's new RV.


Amanda and Aiden had a pool day with some friends, so Shaun and I enjoyed a night out.


May 28
After five weeks of no car, we were on a mission to get Amanda her own transportation. By 1pm, she had paid and signed for this 2008 Volkswagen Passat with just 62,000 miles. She bought it from a local family owned place thats been in business for many years. It was a great experience!



Amanda was very anxious to make the car her own, cleaning it to her specifications. Levi is a good pal. :)


We watched Amanda's friend pitch her team to victory in this playoff game and she would eventually pitch them to win the state championship, second year in a row.


May 29
Senior Awards Night. Our Dollars For Scholars committee does an amazing job.




May 30
On this day, 30 years ago, Shaun and I stood at the altar and promised that, for better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, we would love and honor and cherish each other until death parted us. We have indeed lived through many versions of those circumstances and we've been fighting hard to buy time before death parts us. 

We have shouldered many burdens and gone through much suffering but staying together, loving and enjoying each other has come relatively easy. I don't believe in the soulmates theory, but I do know we go together well. In all our oppositeness, we fit with each other like puzzle pieces.

You didn't ask but I'll give you my top marriage advice anyway:
  • Devote yourself to growing in your relationship with Jesus. Let Him be the source of all that you need, such as happiness, contentment, peace, confidence. Your human spouse will fail you often if you are looking for them to provide you with those things. 
  • Selflessness. It takes a measure of maturity to view that word as a source of joy rather than pain. Its focusing on what I can give rather than what I can take. In all areas of life its asking, how can I regard the well-being of the other as more important than my own well-being.


Stunning flowers from my aunt and uncle, who are closing in on 50 years and have set such a beautiful example of what a thriving, long-lasting marriage looks like. We also received cards and very generous messages from people who love us.


I saw this post a while back and tucked it away. 


When we got closer to our anniversary, I knew that's how I wanted to celebrate. I am a firm believer in going on date nights and taking trips without the kids because without even trying, you can make kids the priority and back-burner your marriage. However, we're in the stage of life where the kids are off to work, activities, church, friends and Shaun and I find ourselves alone quite often. So with several weeks notice, I reserved everyone for this evening.


As human nature would have it, some in our group were in off moods. Part of the way through, this image flashed in my mind:


Though it wasn't the night I'd envisioned, I do believe my specific prayer that seeds would be planted in their heart dirt was answered. And by the end, they had turned it around and we ended on a positive note. (The takeaway here: if you are debating whether to spend your anniversary in Bora Bora or out to dinner with your teenagers...take the trip!! 😜)




May 31
Beautiful evening.


June 1
We discovered a nest of baby bunnies right near our back door where the dog goes in and out of so for a couple weeks we had to keep her away, which was quite inconvenient. Finally, we saw the last one hop away to a new home.


In preparation for hosting a large group, we decided to tackle the "hot tub project". More to come...its very exciting. ;)


In the afternoon we headed over to celebrate Trevor's graduation. It was the perfect day to be outside and Amy did a wonderful job putting everything together.










June 2
After church, Amanda, Aiden and I made a trip to the deck boards store. I've loaded hundreds of loads of supplies over the years, and now the torch has been passed. Aiden is getting big and strong and helpful! 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.