Friday, June 21, 2024

Project 365, Week 23

School was winding down this week with finals and rehearsals. We worked diligently on party prep and celebrated with Amanda in her excitement and 'lasts'. And then...graduation!!

June 3
While Levi was still in CT, the Groves extended an invitation to the lake for a boat day. What a treat! The afternoon was perfect and the kids had a blast. The patio was a relaxing place to rest and have a lovely conversation. And then we got the old person slow ride around the lake, looking at all the pretty properties. It was all completely delightful.




June 4
Because it was finals week, school was half days, which gave the kids quite a bit of availability. They were a big help with all that we had on our list.





Amanda joined Avery and I for our taco night and we had a nice evening, just the girls.



June 5



June 6
Big day for this girl!! The summer before she started high school she got her braces ON and just two days before graduation, she got them OFF!! There is still more work to be done with bridges and implants and such, but the worst of it is over and she's happy to be free of the metal!


The orthodontist even gave her sparkling cider to celebrate. The office we used was professional and attentive at every touch point throughout the four years. I would highly recommend!


The kids do not share in my excitement about dump runs, but I'm always so pleased to be rid of stuff that takes up space and no one can use.


Amy had a bit of time so she came over to lend a hand with preparations. 


Finals!


June 7
My cousin Melody and Aunt Bonnie came from New York a day early so they could help. I knew I wouldn't really get time with them at the party, so we set aside time to do lunch. It was so fun!!


I joined Amanda and a little fan club for Sarah's graduation ceremony. 


These girls have been together since toddler class days and Kelly has been their very involved small group leader since they started youth group as incoming 7th graders. She has helped them navigate some really hard, heavy stuff and has been a constant to them through their teen years. She is quick to love them and have fun and she's also quick to call them out when they're doing stupid stuff. We're so very grateful to her and all the youth leaders who partnered with us through these teen years. 


Later in the evening, Sarah Jo came over to spend the night ahead of graduation. These girls have the best times together and I love to hear their important conversations and silly giggles.


June 8
The house was buzzing early with party preparations ahead of the 10 AM graduation ceremony. I had a team who stepped in to help, allowing me to feel like I hosted, but actually didn't do much. At 7:30 AM Melody and I drove the 1/2 mile to the flower stand, hoping to get all that was offered. An unexpected bonus, a little miracle really, is Hoka the Flower Lady was out working the yard in her pajamas. When I explained it was my daughter's graduation, she immediately offered to cut some more. So she ran to her greenhouse and we came home with such beauty!!  

Aunt Bonnie is a flower arranger wiz and in no time we had vases of color and fragrance all over the house. It was actually a highlight of the day. She and Melody stayed back at the house to do all the things to get ready for the afternoon party.








How many times have Shaun and I been spectators on this soccer field, watching our kids play and anxiously glancing at the score board. And just like that, Amanda walked across that same field to collect her high school diploma, with a happy wave on the way. 😍




Fourth from the left.



She had such a supportive, loving group of family and friends there for her. We are blessed with community!












This photo means so much to me. It is well-documented the battle its been to be here for my daughter's graduation day. It is not well-documented what it took to parent through these years. I give so much credit to Shaun for staying steadfast, strong, intentional. So many times he was the go-between when the mother/daughter thing was tumultuous or when Amanda just needed a coffee date or tough love. We did so much praying to the God who made her and loves her more than we even understand.

Amanda shines and is uniquely gifted and is going to affect change in her world. Without a doubt, God will use the things she's been through to help others. She/we/God did it!!







Then...

...now.

Back at the house...our house and yard were filled with people who love our family and have loved and supported Amanda.  I'm grateful for all the hands that made it possible for me to pretend that I was hosting but didn't actually do anything. What a blessing to have picture-perfect weather, too!



Avery did a great job putting pictures together.

















Pop was at the ceremony but I wasn't able to get a picture before he left.



June 9
In the morning I found this message in the kitchen and it made me laugh, also I was still completely enthralled with the flowers everywhere.




The girls and I stopped in at a friend's graduation party.


And I caught the second half of Aiden's last town rec team game. The ending of an era that began 16 years ago when Avery started pre-school soccer/U5;). We tried softball, baseball, basketball, gymnastics, dance but soccer is the one that stuck for all three kids. Through it, some character was developed and many cherished family memories were made (which is fortunate because none of them are going pro 😉). Grateful to have a few more seasons of high school soccer left.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.