Thursday, July 25, 2024

Project 365, Week 28

Its not really a week that has a quick summary. There was grief and celebration and silliness and stress and goodbyes and milestones and serving and caring and stretching and comfort. What I know is, all is grace.

July 8
I went in to wake C up for the day and she just looked so sweet and peaceful. My heart breaks that this little girl doesn't have the privilege of sleeping in a familiar bed every night. That she is not always safe and cared for.  Already in her short life she is learning she cannot count on the adults in her life and that life is fraught with instability.


This was the first day of VBS at our church, a week my kids look forward to. Since they were little they've participated and then they aged into being leaders, a role they all greatly enjoy.






Its a big team effort and for a couple days I joined the photography crew with my girls. 



When we got home, the social worker came to pick up C, while I was simultaneously booking airline tickets. Especially Amanda and I were so sad to have to say goodbye.

Shaun had flown down the day before to be with his grieving grandmother and she was more than anxious to get out of the assisted living place and Florida in general. So her team of grandkids went into action to make that work. One of the (many!) logistical needs was getting someone down to help Shaun fly her up north. When asked, Avery readily agreed to fly down so she could assist Shaun in flying Nana to Connecticut. 

She took 3.5 minutes to thrown belongings into a backpack and left this same evening. I used both a flight tracker and a location tracker to make sure she was ok. She's more than capable, but I still like to check in.



July 9
Back at it, and with smiles!



Meanwhile, Shaun and his siblings were working like crazy to spring Nana from assisted living, get some affairs in order and prepare a place for her to reside. Avery did a nice job sending the group pictures, since our hearts were all there with them.

I still get a lump in my throat when I see this photo. I simply can't imagine how confusing and sad her world felt. Losing her husband while alone and while being quarantined, still hardly able to move around from her fall, and 48 hours later getting on a plane, saying goodbye to the state you've called home for the last 50 years, leaving in such a whirlwind, maybe never to return. Too much.


It was a team effort for sure, but I was so proud of Shaun and Avery for how lovingly and capably they handled a very difficult situation. And Nana...what a brave lady.



If it were me, I maybe would've wanted to catch my breath, but Nana requested that the family gather that same evening, so gather we did. I adore the chaos of this photo, everyone just together.


In typical Nana-fashion, she got up during dinner and gave a toast of sorts, thanking us and counting her blessings that she has such a wonderful family.



July 10
My body was protesting too loudly to do a whole morning of VBS, so most of these pictures are not mine. This b/w one is my favorite of the ones I took. The little lips and the hand on the face kill me. They have the sweetest little friendship.





For now, Nana is staying with Shaun's youngest brother and his family. In addition to the fun of seeing cousins while visiting Nana, her walker with wheels has been a highlight. When they were much younger, I remember the entertainment that Great-Grandpa's cane used to provide. I think its such a beautiful way that the generations are together. 



July 11



A quiet backyard on a summer evening. There is no place like home.


July 12


Such a crazy story...with a couple days notice, Sarah Jo reached out and said she was going to Summit for a week as a camp leader and the girls could come for any part of it. Avery's work conflicted too much, but Amanda was able to move things around and make it work. I wasn't comfortable with her doing the drive on her own but as it turned out, my dad and Amy were doing a quick road trip to visit family in TN and would be driving right past Summit, their timing nearly lining up with Amanda's schedule. Incredible! So, at the closeout of VBS they hit the road and Amanda got her very first (but not last 😉) picture in front of the Summit sign, where she'll be attending in the fall.




July 13
Our family was completed the day Aiden Samuel arrived, 15 years ago this day!


This was the funeral day for Shelva's cousin and she was asked to run the service. To me it goes without saying, but she did a phenomenal job. Each person who shared highlighted James' strengths and smile and gifts, and they also didn't gloss over his struggle with addiction, instead, he was honored as a whole person. It was really beautifully done and very special to be a part of. 

(We were surprised when we saw each other in the same dress!)


On my ride home the girls called to check in from PA and they were having a blast! Sarah did an amazing job showing Amanda around, introducing her to faculty and a handful of students who will be attending in the fall. Amanda got to taste the food, sleep in the dorms, sit by the campfire, attend a prayer service. She was so happy and feels even more settled about that being her home for the upcoming school year.


Aiden arranged a Six Flags day with some of crew to celebrate his birthday. I thought it was appropriate, since this was the year, back in April, that he on-purpose conquered his fear of roller coasters. I so admire it when someone stands up to their fear and doesn't let it boss them around.

As it happened, Colombo ended up driving the boys and staying at the park (and doing nine!! roller coaster rides with Renna). He's also good about taking pictures and sent me a few.



Once they were done at the park, Shaun and I met up with them for dinner.



I sure do love being this boy's mom. Next year, he'll be taller than both of us!


July 14
On a warm evening, Aiden had s summer league game. How happy am I to be on the sidelines!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.