Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Project 365, Week 30

Summer, you are actually the best.

July 22
This picture was taken later in the week, but is here on Monday for context. My whole family minus Shaun and Amy's whole family minus Maddy's family were all together at Kids Camp in New Hampshire. Renna was in her "swing year" as a camper and the rest were there to serve as counselors, LIT's, Rec Staff and to help with any other needs as they came up. Even though its a lot of work, its truly one of their highlight weeks each year.

The photos are screenshots of the IG account and, as a bonus, Colombo is really good about taking pics and distributing so those are in here as well.



A video flashed Avery at the registration table and I thought, perfect job for her!



While our families were away, Amy and I took the opportunity to do our 2nd Annual Lake Ontario trip to visit family. On the drive up we kept another fabricated tradition of patronizing the Amish stand set up at a rest area.


We arrived late afternoon to the happy smiles and open arms of our aunt, uncle and cousin and for the next 48 hours we were treated like royalty. It was a slow, meandering time with absolutely no agenda, which is a stark contrast to the LobsterFest/Christmas/175 people scene we have when they come to CT.






July 23
Uncle Lee and I did the sunrise stroll. Once the sun was up, it lit the "Secret Sidewalk" in the most striking way.



Our big decisions were front porch or back garden. For this morning it was breakfast on the porch.


We packed up a picnic lunch and found some shade trees by the water where we spent the next several hours.





After dinner we walked the half a block down to the water for sunset.





At home, Pop and Kiki were caring for Ginger. She's good company and not too much of a pain and in exchange, she gets lots of treats. Not sure how she feels about coming back to our house.


July 24
We had a leisurely morning and then Amy and I hit the road. With five hours of uninterrupted time, we had some raw and honest conversations about life and death and God and family. She asked me a really good theology question thats been rolling around in my heart since.  


Colombo captured my kids having a sweet moment, loving on each other, when no one is watching. Another option is they are teasing each other and soon after this photo someone gets upset. We'll never know. 😉





July 25
A day at the office and then a quiet evening while the kids were still away. If I ever move again, I will require the house have electricity, indoor plumbing and a grand view.



July 26
When the girls were younger, one year I cleaned their shared room while they were away at camp. I gave away clothes and threw away plastic toys. They were thrilled to find it organized when they came home and from that time on, they've kept their rooms fairly clean and picked up.


In the last year or two, Amanda has moved far away from that and barely has any floor space. I told her if her room wasn't clean by the time she left for camp, I would do it myself while she was gone. Sure enough...I was merciful in that I didn't get rid of anything, this was just a warning. 

She was happy to find it in order and is trying to keep it that way. (Her long-time dearest of friends always make me smile. Forever they have been her secret keepers and tear-holders).



July 27
Shaun and the kids have been turning over an apartment.


We spent the afternoon at Sarah and Tony's and it was the perfect day for sitting out on the deck. At one point Shaun and his siblings broke off for a family meeting. I have so much respect for the way they have navigated all things Nana in these last two months. All four are able to talk openly, they are very interested in the common good and not what's in it for them, they have almost organically divided up duties according to their strengths and continue to show up. It has been a marvel to watch them work together so selflessly, lovingly and peaceably. 










July 28
Sundays. 😁








1 comment:

  1. The Cour sibs are a marvel and I think they should publish a book on how to navigate elder care! What a feat! I wanna re-do Rochester! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.