Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Project 365, Week 40

Soccer is going strong and I'm grateful I was able to make it to most of the games. Fall is showing off, with colors popping up everywhere. We do normal life, we do cancer life...it can feel strange how the two are weaved together, but we all do that regularly with the seasons of our lives...a baby is born, a loved one dies, we lose our job, we go back to college. It is a blessing that life continues.

October 3
Still here from the wedding, the Tennessee and New York gang stayed through the early afternoon. With that time, we ate breakfast together and then toured the tiny little town where my mom, aunt and uncle grew up. We were delighted to discover that the General Store is back up and running after having been closed for several years. I grew up in the house that they grew up in, so we all had childhood memories of biking/walking to the store to spend our pennies. Aunt Bonnie even admitted that the general store is where she learned that stealing is wrong.



The town library. Though it was closed, in seeing it I recalled what it smelled like...paper, ink and glue and other wonderfulness associated with books. I could picture Mrs. Fuller, the librarian who was about 120 and so kind. I am forever indebted to her and my mom for giving me the love of reading.


We visited the cemetery where my grandmother is buried. She was 48 when she died of cancer. From all accounts, she was a strong, amazing woman. I wish I'd known her.




We stopped by my old high school, where I have such great memories. My uncle was the first graduating class to go all the way from 7-12 grades.


We said our goodbyes and everyone headed home after such a special weekend. It was SO special to get the extra time with family we don't see nearly often enough. 

On to soccer!




October 4
It was Izaya's birthday and I sent him some photos along with a birthday message. He came to us at 9 years old and from day one we could tell he was such a special kid. We are in regular contact and at now 20 years old, he is thriving. He is smart, a hard worker, has dreams and a vision of the future and has an enormous heart.

Foster care is so layered. It has grown us and shaped us in so many ways. Our hearts have been broken and our capacity to love has been enlarged. Ultimately, though I don't understand it all, I do know that we did our job to be faithful in the work we believe God called us to do.






Back-to-back home soccer games.





Amanda headed the ball in for a goal!




October 5
They had a beautiful display out front of the cancer center. If I'm being honest, it makes me a little bitter to witness the changing season there. I started in the dead of winter, so I've seen them all now.


October 6
For a couple years, Aiden has been talking on and off about his desire to get back to catholic school. We are very much in the preliminary stages, but he and Shaun attended an open house they had. Shaun said they began the night with prayer. Amy and Rocco were there as well. Rocco plans to follow in his older siblings footsteps.


October 7
Shaun sent me this picture of the gorgeous grounds at the golf course. Even with fall here, he's still able to get out most weekdays. I'm so, so glad he gets that quiet time every morning.







October 8
Fall in New England is exquisite.


The kids had Tribe Wars at youth group and then Aiden had a birthday sleepover with his buddies for Mason's birthday. Such a great group!


October 9
Somehow a year went by with our hot tub not working. I called numerous companies but couldn't get anyone to even take a look at it. Finally, Shaun just fixed it himself. It was great to be back! 



1 comment:

  1. YAY for the hot tub!!!!!! It's been so pretty everywhere this year...including your front porch. It must be good to know that you undoubtedly made an eternal impact on Z...and so many others. Obedience. Also, Aiden is the sweetest smoosh in all those pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.