Thursday, July 6, 2023

Project 365, Week 26

Camp and cancer centers, foster care and soccer, fishing and reading. Yay for the slower pace of summer!

June 26
My dad and I went down to NY for labs and an MRI. I am always keenly aware of the changing of seasons, marked by the trees and the flowers. In part I think wow, another season and I'm still here...what a blessing! And in an equal part, wow, another season and I'm still here...when can I stop coming to this place?


When he dropped me off, my dad invited Aiden for a sleepover. They took the boat out for the first time this year and the next day went on a long bike ride.



June 27
Kiki always makes him hot chocolate from scratch...he raves about it.


Since the girls were at camp, I went with the boys while they fished. I got to sit and listen to the water rushing and take pictures and gather perspective.


I remembered to check IG every day but didn't see much of my kids or people I knew posted from camp.


June 28
Aiden got asked to help with the food pantry at church while they served the community. It really blessed him to serve in that way, while also being able to hang with his bros.


June 29
We don't usually enter Manhattan on this side, so it was fun to see the impressive GW.



My first appointment was at 9:15 and was the one we were most interested in. TWO hours later, I was called in. In the meantime, I did vitals and x-rays and the boys watched a soccer match. We were thrilled to hear the oncologist is comfortable with the plan of no treatment, for at least another month, just close monitoring. 

While I stayed to finish the last appointment with the spine doctor, the boys left to get a head start on the museum, which was our plan for the remainder of the day.


Directly in front of the cancer center the street had been closed off. Word had it that President Biden would be going through within the hour.

I walked to the Museum of Natural History, taking the through-Central-Park route. Its very well done, there is just so much to see and take in.








Finally, once we felt the traffic would be quiet enough, we retrieved the car and headed out. What we didn't take into account was that Biden was also headed out, so it took a while to get around the closed streets. Eventually, we stopped at a place outside of the city that has become meaningful to us in this journey and we celebrated the day and the moment we were in.


In camp photos, I spotted Amanda in the bottom left.


June 30
We agreed to do respite for two days for an 8-year old boy. He took to Aiden immediately and thought he was the coolest. Especially at bedtime, my heart broke. He's had so many homes with so many ways of doing things. Why is there a world where little kids can't depend on some things in life, like being tucked in by someone safe, known and loving?





The girls got home from camp, and with bragging rights of first place!


July 1
The perfect day to be outside for our church picnic! I love talking with people I rarely get more than a passing hello with and I always leave with gratitude for this community that we have. 


July 2
Aiden had his second summer league game and in the second half he went in goal. We were thrilled that he was being given a chance, the first of his high school career. I'm pretty sure Shaun shed a tear. Unfortunately there was lightning and the game got called before Aiden could touch the ball.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.