Monday, July 31, 2023

Project 365, Week 30

The summer has been full, mostly with camps. One thin I like about it is the home dynamics are constantly changing. Sometimes we have no kids, other times we have a combination of one or two. Its been special to get two-on-one or one-on-one time. And at camp, the kids are learning, growing important relationships and having an outlet to just be a kid.

July 24
Avery and Amanda were leaders at kids camp and had such a great time! I caught them on IG several times and also a couple friends sent me photos. So proud of them and the hearts they have for kids (they also greatly enjoyed late-night hangs with the other leaders their age).





July 25
Check-in for my first appointment in NY was 6:45 AM, after a 2-hour drive. Traffic was a breeze and the flowers everywhere were at their fullest bloom. A visit to the cancer center, for any reason, is always a jumble of emotions. Some days I have the strength to stop and admire the flowers, other days, they make me want to throw up.




July 26
Morning walks with the dog, the sun and my Jesus. Life is sweet.



This year, Kids Camp and Junior High Camp split the week, so I got the girls back....


....and gave up the boy. We missed the bus, but thankfully the camp is just 20 minutes from our house, so I brought him directly there. He was worried that I wouldn't be able to find it, but I assured him I've had a loose association with the camp for many years.

As the story goes...Shaun was in a men's basketball league and they had a playoff game on the same night he had a 3-hour upper level class at UCONN. He asked his girlfriend (me!), who was in high school at the time, if she would attend his Mechanical Engineering college lecture to take notes. I agreed, because love, and for all of those three hours the professor with a heavy accent talked about a crack on an airplane wing. 

The Camp gym comes in to play because that's where Shaun played basketball that night. We can't remember whether they won the game, but for the purposes of this story and posterity, we'll just say they won the whole championship. :)


It is strange yet merciful to have regular life and cancer life threaded together. Camp chauffer, patient of one of the top cancer doctors in the world and soccer mom...all in one afternoon.


I think I was mid-conversation with Avery when she fell fast asleep at Amanda's game. Camp, it turns out, is not really for sleeping. ;)




July 27


Most days this month we've had prime conditions for a rainbow appearing, so for many weeks I've been actively looking. Finally, when Shaun, Amanda and I stepped out after dinner, there it was!


July 28
Shaun, Avery and I worked at the office all day and then Avery and I closed out the evening at the lake.




July 29
We got to have some teens gather at our house. As they were spraying my house with nerf bullets, I was just so grateful that on a Saturday night they were at a parent's house playing games and being silly kids. Its a good tribe.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.