Monday, July 27, 2015

Doing Battle, Week 44

I started to type that this week was unprecedented, but then I stopped a moment to think if that was accurate. We've had some pretty tough weeks in all of this, so I will just say this one ranks really high.

On Wednesday we went to the city for a follow-up with the surgeon. The appointment was perfectly scheduled so we could get in and out without hitting rush hour on either side.

We got right in with the doctor and she was immediately concerned about the level of pain I was reporting. After doing an exam and talking with us, she opted to order a CT Scan. Thankfully we got to wait out the three hours in the exam room so I could lay on the table instead of stand in the waiting room.

Before I was out from the scan, Shaun was already on the phone with the surgeon, who'd seen the scans and found a collection of fluid. She wanted us to go to the hospital to get admitted so they could put a drain in to deal with the collection. What a blow!

Thursday I got called down for the procedure about 11 AM and that ending up being an all-day thing. I asked them if they'd put me out just a little bit more than last time, because I remember it hurting. They obliged and the process was pain-free. Once I woke up there was pain, but by the next day the pain was greatly diminished; the drain was clearly doing what it was supposed to do.

Good thing, because by Friday I had a whole new set of issues. I don't have much to say about the day because it was mostly a blur, but pretty early in the day I spiked a fever and my blood pressure went crazy low and my heart rate was erratic. They drew blood and took cultures and by evening had me whisked away to an intensive care floor, in isolation. I was in and out that night and I can only describe that experience as walking through "the valley of the shadow of death".

By morning the results had come back that I had a colon infection, an extended-stay hospital borne infection. I was hooked up to all manner of equipment and monitored very closely. Saturday was a long day. While my body was improving, my mind was struggling with the setback.

When I woke up Saturday morning, I had this song in my head that I hadn't heard in years and in my fuzzy state I could only come up with the first couple lines How long O Lord, will you forget me? How long O Lord, will you look the other way?

I knew there was more to the song so eventually I looked it up. It was straight out of the bible and it was just what I needed at the time. (Its a little dramatic if you're not going through something intense.) I loved the second part of the Psalm, the part I'd forgotten and once I found it I began to sing it over and over. Still I'll sing of your unfailing love. You have been good, you will be good to me.


Sunday I woke up feeling like a different person and we started unhooking some things. They also downgraded my status so I switched floors, back down to the 15th floor where I was on Hospital Stay #1. (Interesting fact: this was my third different floor and fourth room for Hospital Stay #2. The rooms have been private because I am in isolation. The answer to was it worth it is no. It would, in fact, be better to be sharing a room with benadryl lady, partying at 2 o'clock in the morning. :)

Today is Monday and I again woke feeling better still. Doctors and nurses who were involved have all exclaimed how much better I look. I'm being treated with antibiotics and the drain is working and also the wound vac. I'm so grateful to be on this side of this past week and my doctors sound very positive about me going home tomorrow.

Twenty days in the hospital in July have taken a toll on our family so we are all anxious for me to be H-O-M-E, and for good this time!

Especially this week I've been so grateful for the many of you who have prayed and trusted for us. He has been good, he WILL be good.


Momagoose said...

Sweetest Lisa, you remain in my heart and prayers. So thankful you went I for the follow up visit when you did. Praying for complete healing, in Jesus name! Love and hugs to you. ❤️

LuAnn said...

He will never leave your side he's just giving you more challenges that he knows you can handle. Glad you are healing and being able to head home soon

sara said...

Oh Lisa, my heart just hurt reading this. BUT I am also glad you are now on the other side of it. I am continuing to pray for your healing and will be praying that you can go home tomorrow...for good! I'm also praying for your sweet family.

The Bug said...

Still praying in Ohio...

Karen said...

Praise God!! Lisa you are amazing! Our prayers continuing!!Welcome home. Love, Karen