Friday, February 26, 2016

February Book Review


The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe By C.S. Lewis

An awesome book (duh!) and suitable for Aiden through H. I'm trying to instill some read-aloud time with the kids. Its been met with some resistance (mostly we can't all decide on a book) but I'm going to persevere. I think its important and valuable.

One thing I've found, at least for the older kids, is they do better listening when their hands are busy so I encourage them to pull out coloring projects.

"Safe?" said Mr. Beaver; "don't you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? 'Course he isn't safe. But he's good. He's the King, I tell you."


See Me By Nicholas Sparks

I'm a big Sparks fan, though I was highly disappointed that he and his wife (and mother of his five children) divorced. The "love" story was predictable and not really my style, but the mystery kept me turning pages.

Though she'd grown up in the South and knew what to expect, there were always a few glorious days, perfect days, when it seemed as though anything were possible. Cloudless blue skies would greet green lawns that had been brown all winter, and everything would suddenly explode with color.


Her Mother's Hope By Francine Rivers

Took a little to learn character names and sort out their importance, but I really enjoyed the story  once I got settled in....a story of grit and determination.

Even so, loneliness sometimes snuck up on her as it had today, catching her by the throat, making her heart flutter with an odd sense of panic. She had never been one to cling or depend solely on her husband, but he had become integral to her existence.


Crazy Love By Francis Chan

I borrowed this from the library, which is where I get many of the books I read, but after getting a quarter of the way through I knew I was going to have to purchase my own copy so I could highlight away. This book is challenging and on point. Tons of truth.

If life were stable, I'd never need God's help. Since its not, I reach out for Him regularly. I am thankful for the unknowns and that I don't have control, because it makes me run to God.


1 comment:

  1. I was just discussing reading aloud with my adult kids this last week. All three kids said that it was one of their favorite memories and now wish I had done it more!! So persevere!!!! Also, my DIL said that her mom used to read them historical fiction (I was telling her how much I loved it) and all my kids agreed they wish I had done that with them. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.