Friday, May 19, 2023

Numbering Days, Week 39-42

My last treatment was nearly two months ago but it feels much longer than that. Life has "normalized", except that so much now seems like a miracle to me. Every day that I get to live and breathe is one more that I didn't have before. By no means am I walking on sunshine 24/7, but I can so often, so clearly see the gift that is this moment.

After getting the green light for a pause in treatment, it didn't take me long to switch gears from a patient to a mom and wife and all the rest that my life consists of. Sweet, ordinary life!

Once tax season ended, I started walking 3-4 miles a day and lifting weights too, but making an intentional effort to not push it. It helps me feel strong and alive and mentally healthy and its been a life-giving rhythm to my days for 35 years. I'd also like to drop the few pounds that steroids and being extremely sedentary have put on so my clothes fit more comfortably. 

Florida was such a special trip, as it always is. Several of the years its been in question if I'd be able to go or do the car ride, etc but its always worked out for me to join the family and I just think God is so kind. Being at the ocean...watching the set rise or set over the water, listening to the waves crash, looking out over the expanse of water...it helps to remind me that there is order to the universe. I am not at the center of it and I am happily not in control. What peace that brings!


Who taught the sun where to stand in the morning?
And who told the ocean, you can only come this far?
The very same God that spins things in orbit
Runs to the weary, the worn and the weak

He commands the waves...what do I have to fear?


We talk about how sweet life is. We speak of our love. We discuss business. We stumble into the hard conversations about the future. We talk about raising teens. We recall our list of blessings. 

This guy...he's always been the one for me.









Aiden and Ginger are my gym buddies every morning.  :)







On Wednesday, my Dad drove me to New York for a blood work check-in. Admittedly, it seems ridiculous to drive two hours one-way for a 10-minute appointment, or really for any of our care. Over the years we've tried it different ways but we've always circled back to just making the drive to the #1 cancer hospital in the world.

And anyway, we had a nice drive with just a little traffic to deal with.


Back in town, we had a call with the oncologist. The lab results were not in yet, so we just re-reviewed my last scans. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.