Thursday, June 22, 2023

Class of 2023!




Commencement was 10 AM, on the soccer field she played on for her four years of high school.






While the band played a couple songs, the graduates all went out into the crowd to deliver a carnation to their parent/s. Avery walked over to hug me and the moment was weighty and emotional and sacred.











It was very special to have all of the grandparents who were able to be in attendance.






Many have asked how I feel about Avery graduating and, while I feel a sense of motherly obligation to be sad that my baby is growing up so fast, I'm actually not sad. I live with a perspective different than most and I'm just grateful. 

Eight years ago, Dr. Temple at MSK looked me in the eye and said, Lisa, I'm going to get you to your kids graduations and weddings. I remember the exam room we were sitting in. This day, I got to a high school graduation and my heart is full of gratitude.

So I throw up my hands And praise You again and again
'Cause all that I have is a hallelujah 
And I know it's not much But I've nothing else fit for a King
Except for a heart singing hallelujah


Back to the house for last minute preparations and welcoming guests. Avery's favorite food is Mexican, so we just went with that theme.





It was a beautiful afternoon and she was surrounded by people who mean the most to her. 
















As a bonus, we got to keep Lainie and Katie overnight.



...and closed out the evening with the Boyds on the porch.


This is the yearbook "ad" I had made for Avery. I remember the punch-in-the-stomach feeling as we walked away after dropping her off for her very first day of school. It felt so wrong and sad. But it didn't take long to see how much she thrived at St. Mary's and enjoyed learning and excelling. And now she is nearly grown...what a blessing she has been!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.