Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Scripture Memory #1

This is something new I am so excited about. Scripture memorization was on my "new year" list so when I saw my friend Deidre talking about what she was doing, I got excited. I did some exploring and it is explained here on Beth Moore's blog. (I am a huge fan! I listen to her online once a week during my quiet time and am never disappointed). If you have time, its also worth it to see her Scripture Memory Mini-Tutorial.

She talks about how so much of our thought life is destructive, idle and really meaningless. Memorizing scripture and meditating on it allows our minds to be held captive to the knowledge of Christ. Sounds good to me! Since I was planning on doing this anyway, I'm especially thankful for the little extra push that doing it with at least 4000 others will give me.

This technically started on January 1, so this is another example of me jumping into something, even though its not at the very beginning. I'm growing! The goal is to memorize 24 verses this year, one on the 1st and one on the 15th of every month.

This is my "15th-of-the-month" verse:

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases,
His mercies never come to an end;
They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
Lamentations 3:22,23

I'm excited to do this and I know my girls will like being involved as much as possible, too. What better way to spend your time and your thought-life? Join in when you can!

4 comments:

  1. Those are some of my favorite promises, ones that I have claimed many, many times! May you see the Lord's mercies anew as you rehearse the promise of His faithfulness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is such a GREAT idea! i am going to go check it out... thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this on Beth Moore's blog a few weeks ago and started last week. I love the verse you selected! This past week I did:

    "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me and I will listen. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:11-13

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea! I've really thought about how best to teach more Scripture to my children. I think I'll join you in this endeavor. Do you pick your own verses or join some other program? Are you displaying the verses in your home in any special way? I'm actually very excited and can't wait to get started tomorrow! Thanks for sharing the idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.