Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Birthday Blessings

On January 15 I celebrated 35 years of life.  I used to take birthdays very seriously and spend the time around the day doing deep self-reflection about where I was and where I wanted to be.  Now that time is stretched over the entire year.  Several years ago I read a card that said Birthdays...Can't live without them.  To hear it put so simply like that really changed my outlook on them.  I'm not as young as I once was, but it just means that I've been a witness and benefactor to that much more of God's grace, love and faithfulness. 

Every year I keep waiting to open my eyes on the morning of my birthday and feel "grown-up".  Nope...still didn't happen this year, so I'll keep pretending that I am a sophisticated adult and not a sixteen year old kid who still wants her mother to call and make appointments for her.

Throughout the day I got emails, facebook messages, texts, phone calls and beautiful cards from dear family and friends, one that look me awhile to gain my composure from.  A highlight was certainly a surprise webcam call from my brother Tim, who was recently deployed to Iraq.  Because it was so early here, we had 45 minutes of quiet conversation.  It was SO good to see his face and hear his voice.  [sidenote: if your church or children's school sends letters and packages to the military overseas and you'd like Tim's address, I'll get it to you...mostly, please pray].



Kiki called early in the week asking to take the kids off my hands for my birthday. I never have to think about my answer to that offer! I took the kids and all their stuff out to their house. We were treated to a nice breakfast. While I was there, I discovered a few of the "traditions" they have while I'm not around. Amanda went and got her tea set and my dad filled it up with coffee, as in caffeine. I remember taking sips of my dad's coffee when I was very young. And Aiden...well, he gets held whenever he wants.


I left there to meet my mom for lunch.  We had a nice time and later I got to wondering when the last time it was that we sat down to a quiet, uninterrupted conversation...its been a while and it was a treat.  She reminded me of the small miracles it took for me to be in existence and alive today.

I went home and worked through my to-do list.  Ah, the quiet!  When Shaun got home he changed quick and we went to his basketball game.  I had the luxury of taking pictures, since I was not holding and corralling children.  After, we went out and enjoyed a relaxed dinner together and since the kids were gone overnight the next morning was quiet, too.


It was a special day and I felt loved by so many. A facebook comment summed it up well: Happy Birthday Lisa! By the look of your photos, all your wishes have come true. I am thankful, content and just have to say that God is good, all the time.  Mmm...fresh fruit in January...delivered to my doorstep.  And the flowers were "just for me", not Amanda leftovers. :)





Not to us, O LORD, not to us

but to your name be the glory,
because of your love and faithfulness.
 
Psalm 115:1

3 comments:

  1. A special birthday for a special person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Happy Birthday, late. such a lovely day for a lovely lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a nice birthday! That's great that Tim called - what a good brother :) Can't wait to see you all soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.