Thursday, September 30, 2010

Mind Over Matter

After 3 1/2 weeks of being sick, I finally gave in and went to see a doctor, something Shaun has been telling me to do for two weeks.  The doctor started laughing when she looked in my ears with the ear-thingy.  You don't have pain?!?  Your ears are the color of...of  (looks around the room finally pointing to a bright red on a poster on the way)...that.  You must have a really high pain tolerance.


Everytime someone says this, I'm always thinking to myself I have three children, all from natural child birth.  Once you include that on the pain-rating scale, well...suddenly a double ear infection doesn't seem so awful.  Just sayin'.

Speaking of labor...



Anyway, after getting a breathing treatment on the spot, I walked out with four different prescriptions.  Three for the bronchitis/asthma and one for the ear infections.  I filled two of them....one I felt was more excessive medication than I needed and the other was $150, with a coupon...I'll manage without.  So for $200, I should be feeling better soon.

Funny thing is though, I felt worse today than I have for at least a week and I think it was the power of suggestion.  Everyday I've been telling myself I don't feel that bad, and surely by tomorrow I'll be much better.  Then today, a doctor tells me how very sick I am and how much my ears should hurt and how I shouldn't be breathing and then I spend the day feeling my ears hurt.

So much of our life experiences and what we get out of them is dependent on our thinking.  Everyday I recite with the girls that verse on my blog banner.  This is the day that the Lord has made and we will rejoice and be glad in it.  So many mornings I've had the conversation with Amanda (and myself!) that it is our choice.  We may have woken up in a bad mood, or in fear of what the day will bring, but everyday, no matter our circumstances, we are presented with the opportunity to make a choice.  A choice that says I will rejoice and I will be glad.  Some days its harder than others, but I really believe in the power of talking to ourselves and just making a decision.

3 comments:

  1. you came all the way to see me when you didn't feel good? praying these meds kick in and you start feeling better soon!! btw, my mom wanted me to tell you and Karin how much she enjoyed meeting you....I"m sending you some pics later this morning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is such a hard truth to remember. If I wake up in a bad mood, I feel like my whole day is ruined, but my husband always reminds me I have the choice to find joy in my day NO MATTER WHAT. Philippians 4:4 says, "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!" It doesn't say to rejoice when we are having a good day, but to rejoice ALWAYS. And, he even repeats it again, because we often forget and need constant reminders. I hope you are feeling better soon and that the medicine helps. (And yikes on $150 prescription - I'd pass on that too!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being sick is hard but it's super hard when you're a mama! You don't have the opportunity to sit and wallow in your pain and misery! I hope you're doing better and are feeling 100%!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.