Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Marking The Time

There are so many dates and markers in time with cancer...the date you find out, the date you end treatment, the date of surgery, the day a big test comes out positive or negative. The day you wish you'd gone to get things checked out but waited it out instead. So many really, really important dates along the way and some that I thought would be important at the time but turned out not to be. 

One year ago today, I completed my final day of radiation. I wasn't sure I'd survive the last couple weeks of it but I did and when I walked out there was a crowd of friends of family waiting in the parking lot to celebrate with us. It was an emotional time recognizing that mile marker and what we thought was the end of chemotherapy and what we hoped was the end of cancer. There is no way we could have known last April 13 all that we'd face in the following year.

Its truly more than my mind can wrap itself around so I don't even try yet. I just keep fighting to bring it all back to gratitude. Regardless of all that unfolded after this day, its still an occasion I hold close to my heart. Such love I have known all these nineteen months!




But I trust in your unfailing love. I will rejoice because you have rescued me. Psalm 13:5

3 comments:

  1. That was a very special morning. I didn't remember 4/13 as the date, but obviously remember every other detail, including how brave you were to finish the treatments when you wanted to quit and your poor worn,ravaged, poisoned, burned body said you should.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I woke up thinking about you this morning, and so I prayed for you. May this year be one of rest and rejuvenation for you, soaking in your family and everything you love.

    Also...what is that states game you are playing with Aiden a few posts back?? Looks like one we need to get!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved that morning! What a privilege to stand out there and cheer as you exited the building. We didn't know what the next several months would hold but that was ok- it was awe inspiring to see you walk out of there and close that chapter! I'm also so glad that the kids (ALL the kids) have that memory of everyone cheering you on in such a tangible way...true community is such a gift!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.