Friday, April 8, 2016

Resurrection Weekend

Back in January, H and I were riding in the car together and I was prepping him for the approaching Passion of the King season. That time of year were we all find a place to work and serve in our church to help make the very large, five-shows Easter production happen. I must have put "Jesus" and "Easter" in the same sentence because he interrupted me.

Wait. What does Jesus have to do with Easter?? I mean, I know Christmas...that's when he was born but Easter?? (H came to us right before Christmas so he got a first-hand glimpse that Christmas is more than Santa Claus).

I paused, paused, paused. Amazed but not surprised that those words "what does Jesus have to do with Easter" could be spoken. In mere seconds my mind wondered at our vastly different upbringings, remembering the time Shaun and I spent Easter in Florida with his grandmother, married just a couple years.

On that Sunday morning I stepped out of our room to find a large basket filled with gifts and candy. I had no idea what it was for. I must have at least been vaguely aware of the Easter Bunny's existence, but certainly didn't know treats were involved. Easter to me was a new church dress and shoes, a sunrise service in an open field celebrating a risen Savior and church with all our closet friends, singing familiar Easter favorites.

This year our family celebrated Easter together. I know what the Easter Bunny is (though still don't quite understand) and H knows "what Jesus has to do with Easter". :)

We attended church Saturday night as usual, the one day out of the year it still doesn't feel quite right to be there on Saturday.


Heartbreakers!!




The next day was Easter brunch at our house, 38 people in total. There are few things I love more in life than having my house full of people and I was thankful to be feeling well enough to actively participate. Everyone brought food and eggs and the weather cooperated. It was a very special day.





































The women were terrified and bowed with their faces to the ground. Then the men asked, "Why are you looking among the dead for someone who is alive? He isn't here! He is risen from the dead! Luke 24



2 comments:

  1. Love all these pictures! Especially the one of you & your sister - such beautiful smiles. Growing up Southern Baptist we had the cross, the empty tomb, AND the Easter Bunny (or maybe that was just my mom - she was a big kid).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.