Saturday, November 4, 2017

State of the House ~ October



October gave us some very incredible weather and we took advantage. Between the three kids, there was so much soccer played! Practices, practices in the yard, games, tournaments...its a busy time, but for the most part its something we do as a family and its been very fun. Well, I say its been fun. Its actually been a lot of work for them, especially Shaun as he coaches, but they'd all say its worth it. I'm thankful for all the time Shaun puts into developing their soccer skills and their character.






After four months of training, it was finally race day, my first full marathon in three years. Last time I ran this Hartford Marathon I was recently diagnosed with cancer, days away from beginning treatment and a road I could have never envisioned, and still can only think about in little bits at a time. My prevailing emotion over the 4 hours and 41 minutes was thankfulness. Literally just thankful to be alive. Thankful to be using my legs. Thankful for my surgeon who made some tough medical calls and had the guts to do the hard thing. Thankful for Team Lisa who walked every step with us and very much held us up.

When it started to get hard, I thought back to the day after surgery when two grown men, and every bit of strength and will I had, hauled me out of bed and helped me shuffle down the hall for ten steps as I leaned against the walker.

My cousin spent some time with me at the hospital when I was re-admitted. She sent me a congratulations on the marathon card and in it wrote: I keep thinking about being with you at Sloan and taking laps around the halls and you dreaming about one day running a marathon again, showing others what is possible.

I won't pretend its been easy, its actually been very, very hard. But I run for hope. I run to show people what is possible. Don't let life, the suffering and hardship you face, count you out. There is more beauty and joy beyond..."just hold on a little longer, my friend".




My sister posted this collage with these words:
She's the only one who knows exactly what it has taken to cross that finish line. More than my brain can comprehend. She is a fighter, overcomer, survivor. She can do hard things and she does! Over and over again. Infinitely proud of @li2sa1 and grateful for the miracle of her life in mine.



Possibly the only marathoner running with an implanted medi-port. :)



My beloved Amy. She has walked with me so closely from that first phone call. Her heart is enormous and she feels others pain deeply....I really think she carried a heavier load than I did. She's cried a river of tears for me, spent days upon days in prayer on my behalf, she organized our community so that meals and medical expenses could be covered. Two of my kids had birthdays while I was in the hospital...she stepped in and celebrated big for them. She's the reason my kids remember the summer of 2015 with such fondness. So many things I'll never even know about and this day she joined my family at the finish line to celebrate. I love her.


We signed a contract on our old house, which has freed up Shaun's time and soon our finances, as we've been carrying all costs on that building for over a year.

Within the next year or so we feel we need to move because Avery will be graduating from 8th grade at St. Mary's and we'd like to live in a town where there is a quality public high school for the kids to attend. We'd also like to be closer to church, currently we drive 30 minutes, which isn't a huge deal, except we're hoping to be there a lot more now that Avery and others are in youth group.

We're considering four-ish towns and have looked at many different scenarios. There's been a perceived urgency because we found a family who expressed a serious interest in the house we live in now. They don't need it immediately and are willing to wait months for it, so we've thought it might be a good idea to take advantage of that, rather than run the risk of it sitting empty for an indefinite amount of time like the other house. But nothing has fit just right.

So we talk and we pray and we look and we talk some more and we trust that God has it under control and will lead us and guide us. Lucky for us, Shaun's brother is a real estate agent, and he's been so accommodating. We've seen a wide variety, for sure. Tough to beat a lake view, even from a shabby cottage. :)

Crazy thankful for this life I have, for this man I'm doing it with.


“But blessed are those who trust in the Lord
    and have made the Lord their hope and confidence.

They are like trees planted along a riverbank,

    with roots that reach deep into the water.
Such trees are not bothered by the heat
    or worried by long months of drought.
Their leaves stay green,
    and they never stop producing fruit."

Jeremiah 17:7-8



3 comments:

  1. Grateful tears!
    Yay for a contract on the old house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incredible! All of it. Rejoicing with you and inspired by your strength, your family's story. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good grief! You should warn a girl if you're going to write something like that. You are WAY to generous. You are the only hero in the story and I'm so proud of you and so, so, so grateful for you! <3 <3 <3 I love you, love you, love you. Your words are appreciated but so not deserved or needed. xoxox

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.