Friday, January 6, 2023

Numbering Days, Week 23

This first full week after surgery was a slow one. I spent tons of time in the recliner, which is my preferred place because it catches much of the household's activity. Strict no "BLT" orders were given. No bending, lifting, twisting. This first week that was easy to follow because my body was clearly not capable of those things anyway. Mercifully, sleeping was very doable and in my own bed.

I had to do a blood-thinning shot everyday. Knowing it would be for three weeks, I tried to give it to myself, I just couldn't "pull the trigger". So Amy, Shelva, Shaun, Avery, the visiting nurse all stepped up on different days to do it. Given the hundreds of needles I've had over the years it's entirely unreasonable that I still have anxiousness about them, but I do.


Because of the staples and bandages, I am not able to shower. After many days, Amanda so sweetly washed my hair in the sink and I felt so much better after.




I wasn't able to make the H & R Block Kick Off meeting in person, but it was the perfect activity to do from my recliner a week after surgery. Trying to take things one day at a time, and also its intimidating to be staring down the barrel of tax season. All will be well.



To my great annoyance, my visiting nurse team was very ambitious. I lost count how many visits over many days...the intake nurse, the nurse, OT, PT. Some of them were helpful, it was just a lot.




I'm sure when I took this photo of Aiden and the dog heading out on the morning walk, I was feeling sorry for myself, or maybe angry. I find its the small, simple things I miss the most when they are taken from me. I cannot/will not tally up all that has been lost, but the sum of it is not insignificant. 




One of the most important things you can do on this earth is to let people know they are not alone.

We had a steady stream of meals and messages and love. We're reminded constantly that we are not alone.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.