Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Numbering Days, Week 62-64





On October 7, Aiden broke his collarbone and did significant ligament damage. When we met with the surgeon two days later, surgery wasn't an option and was scheduled for October 16. As it worked out, I was able to be at all the appointments with him. We met with doctor on Monday, on Tuesday and Wednesday morning we did pre-op appointments, Wednesday I had treatment and by the following Monday I was well enough to take him to the surgical center and sit in a waiting room for hours. which I was so grateful for!

In the early morning, well before sunrise on our short drive to surgery, I spoke of God's goodness and that when he felt afraid or anxious he could say over and over: 

God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present, well-proved help in trouble. Ps 46:1.

These verses in Romans are not my favorite and days later when I had a minute to process I was surprised  that particular passage came to mind before so many others. I've grown to know it and believe it for myself but I was amazed to find that I believe the hard truth, even for my child.

We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know 
that they help us develop endurance. And endurance develops 
strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation. 
And this hope will not lead to disappointment. For we know how dearly 
God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love.

It's through a step-by-step transformation that we are made more like Christ. We are trained in godliness, our faith grows and we can have a hope to hold onto that will never disappoint. Our greatest gain is not the starting goalie position on the high school team. It's not comfort and the avoidance of pain. Our greatest gain, even beyond the removal of our suffering is Christ and, through our trials, He reveals himself.

Do I wish my sweet boy did not have to walk the road of surgery? Of course! Do I wish I could do it for him so he could be spared? Absolutely! (I can do surgery with one arm behind my back 😉). But since that's simply not how life works, I can rejoice that God can use this experience to grow in Aiden what matters. 

Life will bring trouble, heartache, disappointment, suffering. Also in life are miracles, blessings, healing, celebrations. More than keeping him from pain, I want him to know that in our deepest places a good story is being written and God has made us to do the hard thing in the good story He's writing for our lives. There is deep, abiding joy to be found in suffering and blessings and always, we can have hope.




He's a tough kid. Also, he had (got to) to be out of school for a week, he wasn't allowed to shower, his parents lifted screen time restrictions, his family waited on him and covered his chores...in the world of a 14 year-old boy, not so bad. ;)



The love we are shown on a regular, tangible basis is astounding. We have a wide community who continues to love us well. Aiden received messages and cookies and cards and visits from several pastors. His buds checked in on him and did extra video game time with him. It was very meaningful to us and I'm regularly overwhelmed by how much people care and show it.




My dad took me to treatment this past time. We waited and waited and waited some more. A perk is that it was beautiful outside so we spent some time in the garden area under the sunshine. 

The couple days after with the chemo pump on went much smoother than last time. I was able to keep water down so we didn't have dehydration concerns. When life is hard, the habit of looking for good and beauty and being thankful is helpful!

Tomorrow is another treatment. Thank you for pausing to pray!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.