Friday, December 31, 2021

Top Ten Photos of 2021

I enjoy looking over the year in photos and choosing my "top ten", which honestly might be a different 10 on a different day. The are a couple more than ten because two of them are in groups. For instance, soccer is one group (just to clarify for all the rule-followers like me).

The older I get, the better I know Jesus, the more I know that All is Grace.

“Everything is a grace, everything is the direct effect of our father's love - difficulties, 
contradictions, humiliations, all the soul's miseries, her burdens, her 
needs - everything, because through them, she learns humility, realizes her weakness. 
Everything is a grace because everything is God's gift. Whatever be the character of life or its
unexpected events - to the heart that loves, all is well.” ~St. Therese of Lisieux


We made good use of my annual checkup with the oncologist...we pulled the kids out of school and spent the day in New York City. We visited the financial district, walked the Brooklyn Bridge, we went to Times Square and we ate dinner outside on the sidewalk, in January! And...its always a happy thing to hear "all clear" from my doctor. This picture is just SO them. :)


Shaun and I made a quick trip to Boston to celebrate his 50th. We walked around Beacon Hill and I took lots of pictures, including this one which we used in our re-branding. We also ate the best burgers we've ever had and celebrated being old and still here with each other.


Soccer. As a family we coached, reffed, played offense and defense, cheered, started, sat bench, took pictures, played injured, learned how to deal with difficult people. It was SUCH a fun year of watching the kids be active and maneuver through all the challenges and triumphs that come with being on a team.




Whatever the perfect weather conditions are for optimal color in nature, I feel like we had for spring, summer and fall. The colors were vibrant, the trees and flowers holding nothing back. It was an exceptionally beautiful year and I delighted in taking it all in.


Earth's crammed with heaven, and every common bush 
afire with God, but only he who sees takes off his shoes.
 ~Elizabeth Barrett Browning





This is a phone picture through my car windshield. But I love that they're happy together, smiling at me and leaving church where they spend much of their time. This night I remember thinking, what a distinct honor to be their mom.


We took a quick trip to Maine and it was a summer highlight. The older these guys get, the more we enjoy hanging out with them. We hope to be great friends with them when they are adults.


This little dude. So many emotions, so many things to say. God has transformed my heart in profound ways on this decade + foster care journey. 


Day 1, officially open for business in our new space. Wow...what a lot of hard work! Will it be hard? is almost never the question we filter decisions through. Our culture is way too committed to easy and comfortable and effort-free. Was it hard? Yes, but it was good.


Our Christmas card photo this year, which the kids were pleased with (thanks Lainie!). Love this imperfect crew and the life we're building. We argue, we struggle, we hurt each other. We love, we forgive, we show grace.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.