Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Project 365, Week 5

It turned into an eventful and memorable week...a couple days in New York City, witnessing the sunset at the local farm and so many in between moments. 

January 31
He is the Maker of heaven and earth...— he remains faithful forever. Psalm 146:6


February 1
A few more from our NYC girls/doctor trip.



February 2
When I woke up in pain, I glanced at my phone and realized 1) it was Ground Hog Day 2) I love this crew on my screen saver and 3) it was 12:34. I briefly shook my head at myself when I realized I still cared about numbers while in so much pain. 

Traditionally I like Ground Hog Day because its spent talking about spring (even if its not actually happening), but I have to admit, throughout the day, I thought multiple times how I hoped this would not turn into Ground Hog Day, the movie where the day keeps repeating itself over and over and over.



It was a long, sleepless night in Urgent Care but Avery sent me this picture from home on her way out to school, which made me smile.


The not-so-scenic view from our hotel room.


I got a couple stretcher rides going from procedure to test to procedure. Transport guy Mark was kinder and more personable than he needed to be and it struck me how many ways we all have potential for doing small things to help each other in our humanity.


Amanda and I grabbed a late lunch at a salad/sandwich shop around the corner from the hospital.




Amanda and I made it to the theater and enjoyed Wicked. We really had a good time and she is still over the moon that she got to see it. No other place does it quite like Broadway (duh!)







And to end the night, Colombo and Shaun drove down together, our knights in a shiny silver car! Shaun brought pain meds that he'd filled at our pharmacy and he drove my car and Amanda and I home so we didn't have to stay another night and so I didn't have to drive home the next morning. It was such a relief to have them take over! 

And I just couldn't help feeling that yes, it was one of the longest days I've lived, as in I was awake for nearly all of the 24 hours of it. And yes, there were some difficult and scary parts. But also, so many good things happened. I got set up for a life-saving procedure, I got some incredible, irreplaceable time with my 15-year old daughter, I had people from far caring for me and then coming to rescue me. It was both a difficult day and a day of sweet blessings. 

I'm absolutely committed to the idea that all is grace. 

Everything is a grace, everything is the direct effect of our father's love - difficulties, contradictions, humiliations, all the soul's miseries, her burdens, her needs - everything, because through them, she learns humility, realizes her weakness. Everything is a grace because everything is God's gift. Whatever be the character of life or its unexpected events - to the heart that loves, all is well. ~St Therese

February 3
Sarah turned 18(!!!!) this day and we went out to celebrate! What a gift she is to the world and has been to our family. Also, how fun is her birth date...02/03/04 ??



February 4
My car radio hasn't worked in two years. It hasn't bothered me, I almost always prefer silence. But my teenager, who is buying my car, thinks the radio working is a top priority, so we went to the repair place first thing in the morning. It worked out well because the kids ended up having a snow day anyway.


Amanda so sweetly thought to detail the car for her sister as well. She spent well over an hour getting it just so. 


All church evening activities were cancelled because of icy conditions so we watched our first Olympics of the season, lots of pairs figure skating.


February 5
Other adults filled in so I wouldn't have to make the trek to NH with the Bible Quiz group. It made me sad to miss out, but they did great! So proud of them and all their hard work!


Straight from TBQ, they dove into a two-day Winter Camp...dreamed up, funded and organized by the older kids and whole-heartedly embraced by the enthusiasm of the younger ones.  Day 1 was at the Werhle's house, Day 2 was at our house. These kids kick around church together multiple times a week and they are forming such a sweet group. I'm SO grateful for this solid group of friends.




February 6
Shaun and Aiden spent a ridiculous amount of time on ice removal from our various properties. I picked at it some and marveled as I watched Aiden turn it into a javelin-throwing event. I heart 12-year old boys.


Of course there were multiple offers to host in other locations, but very few things give me more joy than to have my house full of people. Amy came over to help man the kitchen and we made some progress on a puzzle. It was good for my soul to have happy, enthusiastic kids getting along together. Life is hard and they are doing the work to build a meaningful community with each other.










 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.