Sunday, January 14, 2024

Numbering Days, Week 74-76

There is much to share and the good news is so good, I want to start with that! As I've mentioned, there was a conference where my case was discussed and doctors from across several disciplines came together for a "meeting of the minds" and later proposed a procedure to try.

Tuesday Shaun and I left for the city at 7:30 AM for what we hoped would be an out-patient procedure. The Interventional Radiologist came in to talk to us before they took me back, wanting to make sure we fully understood what he was going to attempt. He also emphasized that they would forego it if, once they accessed the area, it was deemed too risky.

When he walked out, Shaun and I were marveling, not for the first time what they, the doctors, scientists, etc, are able to do. Many times over the years it has felt ridiculous that we drive to New York for my care when we have good hospitals here in Connecticut. But Sloan Kettering is truly the best, at least for my case. And at all times we have people praying in all different parts of the country. People who have known me all or most of my life, people who I see on a weekly basis, people I've never met. Family, friends, friends of friends, strangers. We are so grateful.

From the procedure report...."Under ultrasound guidance, the sacral hiatus and epidural space was accessed with a micropuncture needle and wire....fluoroscopic and CT guidance,  percutaneous cryoablation of S1 metastasis." Essentially, using a very tiny needle, they froze the tumor in my sacral bone, or at least we hope. Though the actual procedure took just a couple hours, there was a whole process involved and I was under anesthesia for about seven hours. (Anesthesia and warm blankets...good stuff. ;))

The doctor was pleased, feeling like he accomplished what he was hoping to. I didn't end up getting admitted, even though they tried to keep me. Instead, we got home a little after midnight after a harrowing drive in the wind and rain.

There has been no pain with recovery, just some extra tiredness. I laid low for a day or two but then picked up with "normal" life, except a little more aware how blessed I am, how beautiful life is.


When I checked in, I got a new-to-me neon wristband. It slightly offended me and annoyed me, but I just went with it. The guy across the hall from me in pre-op apparently had the same band, but he did take the time to question it. And I get it...because there is so much we can't control, "we" grasp at the silly things we feel we can have a say over. The guy was adamant to the nurse that he walks fine and is sturdy on his feet. She patiently explained that its standard to all patients with neuropathy in their feet/legs.

For me, the neuropathy means my foot is partially numb and often tingling and finding shoes that work has been a challenge. But I'm sturdy on my feet and most definitely not a fall risk. 😉


After white-knuckling the 2.5 hour drive, Shaun got me tucked into bed and then spent the next several hours at a couple of our properties proactively working to keep water out of the basements due to the rain in addition to the snow. Sometime around 3 AM he finally crawled into bed. How much can one person deal with?  He is steady and capable and doesn't seem to have regular human limits. 


December 12 was my last treatment with not another one in sight until at least February. In a couple weeks I'll do a PET scan to determine the effectiveness of the procedure. For now, we are rejoicing! Truly, its a miracle that it was carried out and I walked out of the hospital on the same day. We are just grateful.








Amanda and I had a nice drive to NY for pre-op labs. I was delighted to leave that building without getting a chemo treatment!




I walk because I can. I walk because they say it helps. I can't verify that it has helped me live longer, but I know it helps a great deal with my mental health.




 

2 comments:

  1. Rejoicing with you for the victories and praying for you and your family for continued strength. Happy birthday, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God! This is amazing. Lisa, you and Shaun are such amazing people. Thank you for sharing your story. I am 100% sure it helps many people in many ways.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.