Wednesday, January 31, 2018

State of the House ~ January


I don't care what people say, I love Januarys and fresh starts and new resolves and blank planners. Maybe because its also my birthday month, I tend to do some soul searching...where am I, where do I want to be, what can I do to affect positive changes in my life, making this vapor of a life count for eternity.

This year I involved the whole family in creating a few goals. We said This Year:
  • Want - Something you want to try this year
  • Need - Something you need to learn or acquire
  • Share - A talent or skill you will share with work, school, community
  • Succeed - A specific goal
We also each chose One Word to focus on. K made a beautiful collage so we can have them up as a reminder. We chose:

Brave, Welcoming Heart, Involved, Focus, Content, Try New Foods, Intentional



My word is intentional. As part of that, I want to do more deliberate training with the kids. Character training, of course, but also basic and advanced life skills that they will be able to take with them. I told them the chores I wanted them to "own" and together they hashed out a weekly system that works with everyone's schedules and abilities. I was impressed with their problem-solving skills.


January is usually good for snow, too and these guys know how to enjoy it!





We use our mudroom heavy, too. :)



And basketball. Avery and Amanda play for their school and Avery and Aiden play rec for the town.




More reading than usual as we snuggle up to stay warm.



Someone sent me this photo...I love the kids school and I think 6th graders are so much fun!


We were inside more than usual because much of the month was particularly cold. Which means 30 degrees started to feel warm and we got out walking! :)


Beautiful birthday flowers to remind me that pretty, colorful things are coming!!





3 comments:

  1. Happy late birthday! January was unusually cold even down here - in the single digits for a number of days. What the heck!

    I love how the boys are NOT TOUCHING the girls in the school photo - ha! And I LOVE that collage of intentions. Very cool! I wonder what such a wall would look like for Mike & me, and would we start wanting to throw darts at it eventually...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whose goal was "try new foods?" hahaha

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.