Friday, December 9, 2022

Numbering Days, Week 19



Though my capacity and reliability is super limited right now, I was able to participate in a couple interviews to staff the offices. I was feeling happy about it but when I got outside and checked my phone, I saw that I'd missed a call from my doctor. So much for being "fancy". ;) But the sky was incredible! 


I had appointments with a new spine doctor and also for an infusion. At the last minute a x-ray was added into the mix as well. Since it all kicked off at 8 AM in the city, I thought it made the most sense to go Sunday evening. I asked Amy if she was available to make it a girls trip and she jumped on it. We got to watch a beautiful sunset transpire on our drive there.



We walked to see "the" Christmas tree, because that's what you do if you're in the city at Christmas. Apparently half of the eastern seaboard had the same idea...it was a mob scene! We cleared out of there and stopped for dinner at a very fun-vibe restaurant. Lemonade out of lemons.



The next morning dawned bright and beautiful and we hit the streets by 7:15, stopping for coffee along the way. I hate the city for the associations I have with it, but also there's much that is just so cool and even charming about it. 





The x-ray was quick and easy, but at 67th Street. So we caught the shuttle to be back at 53rd Street for my labs, which would determine if I could get treatment. The shuttle was running behind so once labs were over, we walked back to 67th to be at the spine doctor appointment. I'm not exactly sure the reasons, but we waited in the exam room for more than two hours before the doctor came in, which meant I missed my treatment time slot. Super annoying!

Once he arrived, the doctor at least took time with us. He asked me about my symptoms and explained what he was seeing on my scans from 10/31. There are actually three fractures, an extremely rare scenario. He talked about surgery to stabilize things, which was kind of a shock. It was too much to process in the moment, all I heard was "plates and screws". 

He asked me to do another scan, so he could compare it to the one over a month ago. I occupied that waiting room with two parents and a hair-less 13-ish year old boy. Simply unimaginable and as I silently prayed for them I also had a perspective shift.

After the scan it was back to 53rd for treatment, which was rough but then finally, after dealing with appointments for 11 hours, we were on our way home.


This was my first treatment with the 10% less intensity and, though the days were still hard, the number of them was shorter and I bounced back 2-3 days ahead of schedule. I'll take it!!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.