Friday, June 8, 2012

Enough


This is the second time this week I've posted on "enough".  Its a constant struggle for me, some weeks/days/hours are better than others.  At times the weight of all my responsibilities and the burden of my inadequacies threaten to overwhelm me.  

Though at times its painful, I love coming to the end of myself and realizing that, in fact, I canNOT do it all.  My own strivings are pretty well useless, but in HIM I have enough, I AM enough....and I can do the things I need to do.

When I saw this this morning, I thought it was too good not to share...I butchered it to put the highlights (for me) here, but the entire thing is worth reading...you will be encouraged!  Its HERE.



Soon the reality of his deficit settled into his heart and tears stung his eyes.
You know the feeling of not having enough, don’t you?
. . .enough time
. . .enough energy
. . .enough patience
. . .enough talent
. . .enough passion
. . .enough money
. . .enough skill
We’ve all felt the pain of staring at a task that seemed to require much more then we could ever feel prepared to give.

My heart broke for my son Jude as I watched his countenance fall...I pulled out a dollar bill from my wallet and passed it over to him....This money was his . . . because he was mine.

You have enough. Hear me loud and clear: YOU HAVE ENOUGH.
To parent your child.
 . . .To be successful on your job.
 . . .To teach the Bible study.
 . . .To be committed to your marriage.
 . . .To start the ministry.
 . . .To fulfill God’s purpose for your life.

 . . .to do exactly what you think you are ill-equipped to handle right now – just like my son Jude did as he sat in a unwarranted hopeless pool of despair on aisle B.

His gloom was unwarranted not because of what was at his disposal . . . but what was at mine. He didn’t have enough in his pocket to secure the toy, but I did. As his mother not only were my resources available but they were ready and waiting to be shared.

In Luke 9, the disciples were met with a vast, famished crowd for which their meager handful of snacks seemed terribly insufficient. Five loaves of bread and 2 measly sardines couldn’t even begin to satisfy one family much less the thousands gathered on the lawn at the outskirts of town. 

But this was all the disciples had . . . .

Or was it?

Just before the disciples’ encounter with the crowd, they’d had another one from which they’d returned with gifts that they’d all but forgotten about.

Luke 9:1 –   . . .and [Jesus] called the disciples and gave them power and authority. . .

Bread and fish were all they could see but it was certainly not all that they had. There might have only been bread and fish in their hands but there was also an unseen supply in their hearts. It was harbored beneath the surface; nestled in the very depths of their own souls. 

They were in relationship with a Man who had invested in them a rich, well spring of resources from which they could continually draw. They now had an inner potential, that would empower them with a lavish spiritual strength, and an authority that would grant them the clout they needed to access the supply within them . . .anytime. . anyplace. . anywhere.

Like. . . here.
In front of this crowd.
Facing these demands

Not because of what they could see but because of all the things they couldn’t see that had been given to them by Jesus the Christ.

You, friend, have the same – a spiritual power that enables you to live beyond your own capacity and the authority to tap into that internal strength whenever the need arises. It works anytime, anyplace, anywhere.

Even. . .here in the midst of what you are facing right now on this very day.
It’s the unseen supply of the Savior that gives you more than what you need every single time you need it.

And is all yours. . . because you are His.


3 comments:

  1. Lisa, thanks. I needed to read this this morning as I struggle with the "down side" of ministry and wondering how I can handle it. I am headed over to read the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.