Tuesday, May 20, 2014

A New Adult

Officially, we have another adult in the house.  R hit a big milestone by turning 18 this past weekend!  Leading up to his birthday I asked him several times what he'd like to do.  I think because he'd never been asked that before, he had a hard time articulating any desires.  So, I formulated a plan that I hoped would be a success.  

Well, a success as long as the weather cooperated.  All week I checked the forecast and it fluctuated between a complete washout and showery.  I constructed a "Plan B" but had my heart set on "Plan A". As it turned out, we had a Top Ten weather day! 

I rounded up all the boys and then picked up R from his track meet.  He was surprised to find a carload of friends!  Our first stop was paintball!  R and Z had never been and there was excitement in the air.  Took them forever to get everything situated...I think there may have been some stalling going on because of nerves.  :)  I told them I've been twice and to keep telling themselves if I can do it, THEY can do it.







 Back at home the girls had decorated and hung their own signs.  As the boys showered, I put dinner out, which wasn't really needed because they'd eaten dozens of the free hotdogs at the paintball place.  Blech!
 

Two loads of laundry, but all the paint came out!
 Then they were off to the drive-in theater with Shaun and Nathan.
 They loaded a couch in the back of the pick-up!

 And ate just about everything I packed while watching Million Dollar Arm and Captain America 2.  Shaun said he wasn't sure how many of them knew there was a double feature.  There may have been some snoozing going on.
 Imagine my surprise when I came down at 5 AM to find three kids still up!!  They played hours of PS3 Hockey.

 Later when R stumbled out to the kitchen at 6 AM he asked if it would be alright if he opened presents.  :)  Umm...let's wait until everyone is awake!

I made them all a big breakfast and then they were off to the skatepark.  I picked them up there and we made the rounds to drop everyone off at their house.  We stayed at Jared's for a little bit to see the baby and then we headed back this way where there was one more surprise waiting for him.

I arranged with his youth pastor to have the kids arrive early for youth group so they'd have time for pizza and to play video games.

He's had a history of not-so-great birthdays, so it was important to me that this first one with us, his 18th, be special.  He thanked me and declared it his best birthday ever.

And now we get down to the business of being an adult!

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Jeremiah 29:11

3 comments:

  1. I love everything about this! What sweet memories for everyone. And the couch in the back of the pick-up is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great weekend for him! I'm glad you planned so much fun...

    ReplyDelete
  3. SUCCESS!!! Yay! Good job putting so much effort into it and making it so memorable. Good seeds sewn!-- Can't even imagine the 'smell' of your family room at 5am.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.