Monday, May 20, 2013

House Project {Week 7}

The house project continues to move.  This week, walls came down and new walls were built.  We traded the plumber for the electrician.

I've been down this renovation road enough times to know not to worry when things start getting messy and it looks like we're moving backwards.  Things have to look worse before they can get better...its progress!

Shaun and the electrician discovered and took care of about five major fire hazards throughout the wiring system.  They are also working on getting us overhead lights in rooms...and a switch to go with them!  I have the luxury of being able to name where I want more outlets, though the house is surprisingly well equipped with them already.

We closed on the construction piece of our financing, so now we can do better planning with that uncertainty taken out of the equation.

New wall for the closet in the girls room, since we are taking over the existing one.

The water heater works!
 This is our bedroom and I was happy to see this vanity monstrosity go.


Shaun's sawsall has been getting a good workout, trying to unearth plumbing and electrical lines.
 We found this behind one of the drawers, a paystub from 1994.  $50/hour.  That year I was working a full and part time job, making $7.25/hr.  Oh well, at least he put quite a bit of that money into my house.  :)
 Aiden and I pick at the yardwork here and there.
 Our poor Robin is hanging in there.  The eggs are about to hatch and she's not about to leave them, though she's surrounded by SO much activity next to the driveway.
 Back in our bedroom, taking down walls.
If you look at the floor you can kind of tell what's what.




Shaun's brother Nathan has been a huge help.  I'm always happy to see him come around because that means Shaun won't be asking me to help him move the dryer or some other heavy thing.  :)


 I'm stripping all the popcorn ceilings.  Thankfully, its coming off without a fight...just a huge mess!

 Aiden is ecstatic now that he gets to get out of the truck at the dump.  He's big stuff!
 The boys bathroom.  The light switches are currently outside the room in the hallway.  I thought it might be better to have them in the bathroom.  What could be more fun that turning off the light on your brother while he's trying to take a shower??

 However, that meant cutting through tile, which isn't the easiet thing to do.

We got a new fridge for the basement and Shaun promptly filled it up with all the necessities.
 The body of the garage got primed and painted.
 And my peonies have bloomed!
Highlights from this week's Pinterest:
 Lots to love here, but I especially like the ceiling.
 Pretty wood floor.
 Possible dining room and/or master bedroom colors.  Though I like color, I think in the long run it may be better to do neutral-ish walls and accent with color.
 SO romantic!

1 comment:

  1. I feel like you got a lot accomplished this week! Loving the photos but I think I'm overdue for a walk-through!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.