Tuesday, October 29, 2013

House Project {Week 30}

People are regularly asking me about progress on the house.  Shaun has been picking at it when he can, but his to-do list is insanely long.  When you are as knowledgeable, skilled and generous as he is, there are no ends to the demands on your time and energies.  He's really good about using his time efficiently and deliberately, so right now he is choosing, and rightly so, to make other things more of a priority.

Years of house-fixing-upping have made me a patient woman and I've learned to take it all in stride.  Every little thing that gets done leaves it better than it was and in time it'll get there.  Plus, we long ago weeded out all the friends who were not comfortable visiting a construction site.  And family?  Well....there's stuck with us.  :)  It really doesn't bother me to have things less than perfect....most days.

Does it feel like home yet? is another question I get.  And my honest answer is no.  While I love the house and our location, I don't feel bonded yet.  Is it because there is work to be done at every turn?  Because we haven't been here long enough or celebrated any major holidays?  Not sure, but I know it will come in time.  Maybe when we set up the Christmas tree, one month from today.  :)

Those windows are above my kitchen sink and I've watched this lone rose bloom three times over the season.




 Its hard to explain where we are at to people.  Much of the house is great, but then there are areas like this stairwell going from the kitchen to the second floor that we use constantly.  Usable, certainly but....
 Aiden's room has all new windows....
 ...as does this third floor stairwell window (which also gets us out to a flat roof)
 ...the girls bathroom (which doesn't have a working sink or bathtub/shower)
 ...and the boys bathroom, which is now complete.
 Shaun's been diligently taping the third floor hallway



 And I am picking at the leftover pieces of wallpaper paper and glue, with my worker bee, of course. :)


2 comments:

  1. The last two times we've moved we've done it in stages, so the new place almost felt like a vacation home for a bit. It takes a while for it to feel like the real deal - at least in my experience.

    Your helper is a cutie patootie!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.