Monday, November 3, 2014

Doing Battle, Week 6

photo credit: Aiden

What a fun week to report on!  Last Sunday was the best I have felt in a long time!  We are very encouraged because my cancer pain was greatly diminished, which means the tumor is responding to the chemo.  That is huge and such an answer to prayer!

The side effects of the chemo didn't last either.  The coldness slowly faded and my appetite returned (along with a few pounds).  Shaun bought a variety of drinks, trying to find something that will work for the days when solid food just isn't happening.  They all worked when watered down.

For the first time in a long time we didn't have any appointments and we weren't hanging by the phone for answers.  As you might imagine, it was very freeing and we started to feel "normal".  Its a new normal, but it hinted at some sort of a rhythm, which was very comforting.

Shaun worked on our heating system, buttoning up some issues that have lingered since our renovation days.  He also hung a door in my office which will help make it cozy when I'm in there on the computer working.  Working and shopping.  Yes, Amazon is going to love me more than usual this year.

Chemotherapy doesn't know the difference between good cells and bad so it kills both.  The bad cells aren't able to grow back but the good cells do.  (And hey...anytime you need a meaty science lesson, clearly this is the place to come! :)  While the good cells are growing back I am susceptible to any little bacteria or virus going around and if I were to contract something it could quickly escalate into something major.

What that all means is I am avoiding public places.  I'm trying to optimize my time, like accomplishing something worthwhile while my family is away at church, but really its kind of a bummer.  Shaun is standing in the gap and got to be the parent at the parent's luncheon at school for the first time, for instance.  It was a really special time for both he and the girls and that wouldn't have happened if I'd been able to go.

The kids are processing at different speeds and it comes out in different ways.  Last Sunday night I went to tuck the girls in for bed and Avery was sitting up in her bed, very near tears.  I asked her what was wrong and she said she was sad.  Oh honey...why are you sad?  Because you have cancer.  And...I have to go to school tomorrow!  After I stifled a laugh I laid down with her and we talked through some things.  I'm grateful for the talking times that are of their own initiation.

I ordered these awareness bracelets for the six of us from Etsy.   We bump them together in a fist-bump kind of way.  :)



Today we go for Round 2 and though I still have some nerves, we are mostly excited....which sounds strange, but after experiencing how immediately effective it was last time, we are anxious to get killing more of it.

I can't express how grateful we are for all the prayers and support.  We feel the love and are witnesses that prayer works.  So thank you for holding us in your hearts each day.





2 comments:

  1. Most people wouldn't think a cancer "story" could be beautiful. But this IS a beautiful story- the highs and the lows, the good days and bad...the way you are processing it all and standing on His promises IS so beautiful. Proud of you friend!

    Habakkuk 3:17&18

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you had a good week & that you were able to get some calories down. Love the Avery story :)

    P.S. Putting something (finally!) in the mail for you today!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.