Monday, December 30, 2019

Project 365, Week 52

This week was Christmas, the most wonderful time of the year. It was full of celebration and family time. I paused so many times to consider how amazing it all is, to stand in awe of God's faithfulness.

We ended the week with a double-whammy. Two friends who have been battling cancer for several years got the news that they were at the end of the line, doctors have told them there are no further treatments available to stop the inevitable. Its so hard and so sad. 

December 23
It was the day after Christmas, Part I and Aiden was up far too early, excited to put his newest Lego set together.


We wrapped and grocery shopped and cooked and generally had the anticipation building for Christmas!


December 24
So thankful I still have a kid who can hardly wait to open door #24 on the Advent calendar.


Ahhh...our church's candlelight Christmas Eve service...one of my favorite hours of the year.


Tradition.

Amy always puts on an amazing meal and evening. It was quiet and chill and so good to see everyone.





Then its back to my house to have santa come fill stockings and put presents under the tree. Years ago we stopped buying for everyone and instead we pick names. Since that time, stockings have taken on a life of their own. It was out of control in the best of ways this year.

+

Remember the two hecklers up in the balcony on The Muppets? Our very own peanut gallery. ;)





December 25
This was our "small" year, missing my brother and sister and their combined 11 children. We did get to have my sister's eldest for a few hours. So very blessed!

December 26
It was a fairly quiet day. The kids went to see Star Wars again with grandparents and uncles.


December 27
The annual bowling event with our foster care agency. We won the award for biggest crew.


December 28
Team effort to de-decorate most of the house inside and out, taking advantage of the warm-ish temps.


December 29
A friend sent me this. Amanda has been helping in kids church regularly and I'm thankful for the connections she's making.

Its a story too long and layered for here but briefly, I have a friend who was visiting her family over Christmas and started feeling ill even on the flight out here. After Christmas celebrations her husband brought her to the emergency room and its been discovered that the cancer they thought was in check with the treatments she'd been doing had actually spread.

The hospital she's at is affiliated with the cancer center where I did the first 8 months of my treatments. So many emotions as I walked in to see her. I used to not be able to drive into the parking lot without feeling nauseous and anxious, now its thankfulness mixed with guilt. Why do my kids get to grow up with their mom and hers don't? Why does my husband have a hand to hold and soon hers won't? So much I don't understand.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.