Friday, May 30, 2008

Celebrating 14 Years

Today we celebrate our 14th wedding anniversary. First, I need to clear up that no, I am not old enough to have been married for 14 years...I was a child bride. I was 19 and Shaun was 23. We had dated for four years and had the blessing of our parents. Ok, so I was of age to be married but sometimes it just shocks me that I'm old enough to even remember 14 years ago, let alone to have been married that long.

It was a beautiful, sunshiny day.

Our wedding party...L to R (my sister Bethany, friend Tim, my sister Amy, best man Clint, maid of honor Shelva, Us, Shaun's sister Sarah, friend Jason, my Aunt Bonnie, friend Richard)

My view of marriage when I was 19 was that a wedding day was much like a car coasting from the top of a hill. I thought that day must be the height of a couple's love for each other and hopefully they had built up enough steam to last the duration of their marriage until "death parted them". How foolish I now realize that thinking was! On the contrary, when done right, love continues to grow throughout a marriage. I love Shaun so, so much more than I did on May 30, 1994.

(us at a Boston game last year...a little older, a little wiser and more sure of God's sovereignty than ever)
(taken in Aruba, where we were celebrating this time last year)


Everyday we stand in amazement at God's goodness in our lives. He has been so good to us...God truly knew what He was doing when He orchestrated our lives together. Shaun, Happy Anniversary. I love you!

8 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the pictures - beautiful bride!

    You're right, when your that young (maybe even older), you're naive enough to think the wedding day is the highlight. Not true!

    I love this post! Happy Anniversary, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 14 years! Congratulations! It hardly seems possible that it has been 15 years or so since I last saw you guys. Just one more reason to love blogs! I hope you and Shaun have a fabulous day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary. Love the Aruba picture. You guys are an incredible example. I love you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too was married at 19. Though I wouldn't recommend it to anyone (certainly not my children) I do so enjoy the annual victory for Jesus we get to celebrate on our anniversary every year- 1and the amazing way He has patiently grown us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa Annie :)

    Is it possible?? We must have been babies that day since I am pretty sure we are only in our early 20's!! You continue to be such a model to me in marriage, motherhood, and life. I love you and celebrate 14 beautiful years. I feel blessed to have been a part of that day and feel even more blessed to be a part of your life. I love you!! ps what were we thinking with Bethany's flowers!!!??

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are beautiful...then and now! Happy Anniversary--here's to many more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations!!!

    It's amazing how much younger you look, yet how similar.

    I never knew we were both married at 19. You're right - it gets better as we go. Can't wait for my 14th :)

    ~Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just wonderful! I love seeing wedding pictures. 14 is incredible....congrats! (even though I know I'm really late commenting!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.