Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Excellent Wife, Ch 10

The Wife's Reverence

"...and let the wife see to it that she respects her husband." Ephesians 5:33 There is so much pressure from our society to disregard this notion of respecting our husbands. It is viewed as antiquated and ignorant. However, this verse is in the imperative form, which means that I must continually choose to respect my husband.

"But, what if you feel (and possibly rightly so) that your husband's personality (character, talents, abilities, etc) doesn't deserve your respect? You may ask, 'Am I released from God's commandment?" No. Shaun has been appointed by God to be the authority over our family and I am commanded to respect his position...both outwardly and in my heart.

I believe there is much more to respect than simply being a commandment for wives. I think it is one of, if not the greatest need a man has. I think we as women don't understand how important respect is to a man. Our greatest need is to feel loved, but a man's is to feel respected, trusted and affirmed by us. Acting in a respectful way towards my husband is showing him love. In the same way I want to be loved even when I am unlovable, so I must also respect Shaun when he sins or fails and "on a daily basis when he is just an everyday, ordinary person".

"It will help if you remember that acting in a respectful way it one way to show love to your husbands since 'love does not act unbecomingly' (I Corinthians 13:5). It will also help if you become convinced that you can obey God whether you feel like it or not." I love that! It's hard but its so true. My actions do not need to be ruled by how I feel, how Shaun is acting or what society is pressuring me with. This is my choice.

Definately go check out Leslie's summary and thoughts, along with others who are reading along. In fact, pick up the book. If you are a woman, you will not be sorry for the time you spend reading and studying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.