Saturday, October 4, 2008

Adventures in the Kitchen

Nothing like waking up to a 58 or-so-degree house to get me in the mood for baking (running the oven). Avery and I washed our hands, rolled up our sleeves and got to work on the Sugar cookies.

Then the little sister woke up and, naturally, wanted to help.

That's when the standards went downhill, and fast. Amanda kept trying to "sneak" the dough, again, quite naturally. She really did get the hang of pressing the cookie cutters, but she felt they needed to be licked clean after each use. After multiple times of explaining that that was not appropriate, I banished her from the table.

Thus...



My nice thoughts of bagging the cookies up to give to family as a treat slowly dissolved as the dough got more and more malled by chubby fingers and the licking got a bit out of control. But in the end there were rave reviews...we had fun, the kitchen warmed up and the cookies are yummy!

The house will not be as cold tomorrow because Shaun started the woodstove, our primary heat-source, for the first time of the season...bittersweet.


5 comments:

  1. sounds like a perfect afternoon:) The girls are precious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sure looked intense on doing those cookie cutters just right...great helpers. hope I get to try one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fa-fa-fa-fifty eight degrees?! Yikes!! I can definitely see why you started baking cookies! The girls are adorable...even when crying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your stove! And those cookies don't look too bad either... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. aah! I can't believe the stove is on already! It's just starting to feel like Fall around here, but I haven't resigned myself to the fact that winter is coming. It's so great the girls were into helping with the cookies...even with a little snafu on Amanda's part. Can't wait for those days!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.