Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Hello!

The girls and I walk around our town quite a bit and Amanda has taught both Avery and I to never miss an opportunity to say "hi", wave and smile at everyone we meet or are within (or not within) earshot of.

She says hi to the too-cool kids hanging out on the street corner. She says hi to the sophisticated man dressed in his best business suit. She says hi to the little old lady shuffling by. It is amazing to watch people become totally undone by her innocent charm and genuineness. I've not seen anyone completely ignore her...eventually they give in and say hello back, in spite of themselves.

The other day I was especially convicted. As we were walking out of the library, there were two homeless people on the bench outside the door. I was working to steer my girls past, but Amanda managed to get out a "hi" and a wave anyway. Within seconds, both people were grinning and talking to her and I saw light in their eyes. I looked in their eyes and thought 'there are probably very few people of any size who, instead of walking past and diverting their eyes, stop for a brief second to give a simple "hi", wave and smile.'

God, thank you for this lesson from a child. Help me to spread Your light and love to everyone I meet, whether they seem accepting or not, whether they have clean white teeth or no teeth; a bicycle or a BMW; carefully groomed hair or unkempt hair.

The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor. Luke 4:18, 19

7 comments:

  1. I saw that whole thing out of the corner of my eye because I was ahead of you two. I had already walked by without acknowledging them and I got under conviction also. A smile..so simple yet so powerful. May she never lose that gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!!! Thank you for sharing! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet, sweet girl! I so wish we all could keep that open-minded innocence when we are grown ups! The world would be such a better place if we were all like Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said and a lesson for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Lisa how sweet! That really touched my heart! What a sweet little light she is and I need to be more that way :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! Our kids really are so wise in many ways we've forgotten. Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it when our kids portray Jesus, and teach us something in the process. That is beautiful, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.