Thursday, March 18, 2010

Lost

Yesterday was a beautiful day, so much so that we had to read our pre-nap books outside on the front step.  Almost immediately our dog, Riley started barking.  Since we were outside, he wanted to be untied so I told Avery she could.  At some point, I had to abruptly take Amanda to bed because...well, let's just say she was ready.  Then it was Aiden, then Avery. 

Hours later, I remembered the dog.  The dog that we'd forgotten to tie back up.  The dog, who in his younger days was so trustworthy, but now in his old age he sneaks off any chance he gets.  So, once the kids woke up, we headed out on foot to find Riley.

We passed by neighbors and a particularly happy group of college kids who wished us a merry St. Patrick's Day.  I laughed and said, Umm...thanks.  Its a big holiday, huh?  To which the drunkest one of the bunch replied, It is to us college students.  Its the biggest @*%# holiday there is.  Ok, well, let me just move along with my three children.

We'd been out about 30 minutes when what began as a mildly desperate search to find the runaway dog turned into a frantic mission to find some of Avery's treasured possessions.  We were walking along fine when all of a sudden Avery says Where is my girl's head and body??  And my bunny??  Oh man, forget about the dog...I know we are not going home til those items are recovered.  She is immediately frazzled and positive its her sister's fault that they fell out because she gave Amanda a turn to push the stroller.
I talk her down and we do a quick 180 and heading back the way we came.  Mercifully, less than half a block away we recovered the missing body parts.
And the bunny!
At that point I called it quits and we headed back home.  Waiting for us at home was a notice on the front door that the animal control people had tried to return Riley but no one was home.  This morning I begrudgingly went to retrieve my retriever. 

What do you think? If a man owns a hundred sheep, and one of them wanders away, will he not leave the ninety-nine on the hills and go to look for the one that wandered off? And if he finds it, I tell you the truth, he is happier about that one sheep than about the ninety-nine that did not wander off. In the same way your Father in heaven is not willing that any of these little ones should be lost.
Matthew 18:12-14

8 comments:

  1. Too funny. I'm cracking up at the lost body parts! That is just hitting me in the funny spot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you found the body head the bunny and the dog. LOl What a day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laughing!!! I can so understand the need to find the misssing body parts, priority! The picture of the head on the pavement got me laughing out loud. Glad to hear Riley is back safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lisa from New England...(:>)
    I became a follower today.

    I have always wanted to go to the New England states in the Autumn...I know it is beautiful then.

    I like your blog, and that you declare your love for the Lord so openly in your profile! We need to be bold in our witness for Him! Huh? I try to honor Him with my posts too.

    My oldest daughter's name is Lisa.
    I have three kids two..all girls. And I named all three of them with "L's"...Lisa, Lynnette, and Lonna. I like all of their "A" names.

    Thanks for visiting my blog. Oh, and yes, See's Candies is a west coast and middle American thing, but here is the webpage so you can see what they have.

    www.seescandy.com

    They are so good. I have a gazillion food allergies now and so I can't eat them anymore...but I sure have fond memories.

    Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh...and my daughter has a dog named Riley! I forgot to list that when I was listing the things we have in common!

    Glad Riley is back home now.

    Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cling to that verse; it is one of my favorites.

    The DOG! Bless his heart! Thank goodness the bunny and missing body parts were found as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness..... What a day !!!
    Glad everyone made it home including the doll, bunny and dog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a day! haha! Sounds like Riley is like a kid when the mommy is on the phone....they just go for it!!! He knows you are distracted now with 3 kids! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.