Thursday, November 15, 2012

Grace Always Wins


Rarely do I read this blog, but occasionally when it comes up on my FB feed, I jump over.  Actually, the real reason I jumped over was because I'd seen a post from the writer that she'd lost many subscribers from a small series she was in the middle of.  Curiosity (about the controversy) got the best of me (though I still haven't made it beyond this one post).
Yesterday morning, as I was throwing the ball to the dog, I read and tears started to come.
Some things I do I do because my parents "always" did such and such or "never" did this or that.  Inevitably, my kids will do that same and I wonder what it will be.  
Will they make healthy food choices because that's how they were raised, or will they be thankful to finally be able to sit down with a bag of chips or extra ice cream to their heart's content.  Will they make their beds everyday because that habit was drilled into them when they were young or will they take advantage of being able to keep house how they want and finally not have to do something everyday as pointless as making their bed?
Of course, the issues grow more serious from there.  
The specifics of this post do not yet apply to me as a parent (thank the Sweet Lord!!) but the theme of Grace spoke so tenderly to my heart that I wanted to share...take the pieces that apply to you and let them be an encouragement:
I have a few tough questions asked in the email my friend sent, but I don't want to skirt over them and miss out on any ruminating we might get to do. (Ruminating. That's my vocabulary word for you for the day ;) )

She wrote:
So, as far as feeling the same as you that courtship may not be the path for our family, but not having a really clear alternative, any suggestions?

Also, how have your "Bigs" become passionate about loving God recently? What a joy you and your husband must feel at seeing this beauty in them?! What all parents pray for their children, amen?

Ah, courtship. Somehow, courtship has been thrown in the homeschool soup and linked up arm-in-arm, and if you don't think it's the only way to approach a marriage, you are most certainly missing it, don't get it, or are sending your kids on a path to hell.
I beg to differ. See, what I can't reconcile is that I was raised in a non-homeschooling, non-courtshipping home where Jesus was passionately pursued and the gospel was above all things, and somehow in that non-homeschooling, non-courtshipping home, both my brothers and I committed ourselves to dating without sex and all three of us love and serve the Lord with fervor! How does that happen?
When people ask my parents what they did to get three kids who are walking with the Lord, my mom says, "Nothing. It's all by God's grace." They did so many things wrong (she says). I think they did some things wrong too, but do you know what they did right?They loved God, with a passion. They loved Him so much it changed their lives. They loved Him so much that His perfect, infinite love spilled out over our home and our lives and we just lapped up the overflow.
I do so many things wrong. Our choices are what they are, and I'll bet you $500 that some of my kids will leave our home loving the choices we made and some will leave our home saying, "I'll never do that!" See, there's no winning when we're relying on our own choices.
Relying on our homeschooling. Relying on our curriculum. Relying on courtship. Relying on a purity ring. Relying on the right way to worship, the right Bible translation, the right community.
Rely on God. Everything else is hope-shifting.
Bet you know what my answer is to my friend's question about how my older kids have been turned on to the gospel and love Jesus, don't you?
And how does grace relate to the courtship question? Because our children are people, not projects. There is not a formula that works for any of them, and most especially not across the board. We've had two sons "date" girls, and though we use the forbidden-in-homeschool-circles word "date", our teens and we know that we mean "get to know a girl because you have an interest in potentially marrying her" and not "hang out with a girl because you're trying to find your worth and value in her and part of that is getting sex from her." That's a given.
Each child is different. Each dating situation is unique. All are couched in prayer. All are carefully walked alongside. Some have ended poorly. One is in an engagement. All are life lessons along this journey and all serve a purpose in the life of a young man or woman. For better or for worse, if you will.
If you're still here, still reading, here's the take-away: Remind yourself of the Gospel, every day. Love your kids out of your love for God. Homeschool because it's a fabulous tool, but not your hope. Have the tough conversations about life and love with your kids. Rely on God, not formulas. And grace. Grace always wins.


 For from his fullness we have all received, grace upon grace. ~John 1:16

2 comments:

  1. This was so good. I think I will have to hop over and read the rest!

    many people ask me how we got 3 great adult kids...all 3 serving and loving the Lord. My answer is the same "Nothing. It's all by God's grace."

    sure I did somethings right, but many wrong.

    I hope that when asked my kids will say what she did....They loved God, with a passion. They loved Him so much it changed their lives. They loved Him so much that His perfect, infinite love spilled out over our home and our lives and we just lapped up the overflow.

    love that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet to see that these words touched your heart so. Grace truly does win!

    ~Kendra

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.