Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Let's All Go Bowling

I dislike Halloween, even more so now that I have small children who have bad dreams from Veggie Tale movies.  If it'd been just our family of five, I would have skipped right over it and my kids wouldn't have known any different.  But...since we were actually a family of seven and our two foster kids adore Halloween (K said Halloween and Christmas are her two favorite days of the year!) we thought maybe we should do something.

My sister called earlier in the day and since the evening festivities at church had been cancelled due to the storm, they were looking to do something.

I said we were open to anything but when she called back at 5 and said, we're going bowling!  I responded bowling??  which is what Shaun and my kids said, too when I told them.  :)

But, one thing we know for sure....anytime with Cousins is a good time, so off we went!

We met at a restaurant where live music was being played.  When the musician first sang, the kids table started giggling but soon they were enthusiastic spectators and participants.

Here is Trevor playing the harmonica along with the guy...


Then he offered the kids the mic to do a song.  After talking through many options, somehow just Trevor and Amanda ended up there.  They sang one of "Pop's songs", a song my dad has written and recorded:  As For Me, with the chorus and verses straight out of Psalm 55.  They sang their little hearts out including the verse:

He has delivered my soul in peace from the battle that was against me, 
He has delivered my soul in peace for You were never with me (there were many with me).

When we thought the restaurant had had all they could take, we loaded up the 11 kids and headed to the bowling alley.  Scores ranged from 80 (Colombo, the dad) to 6 (Avery, first time bowling).

The four little guys used bumpers and a contraption that pointed and launched the ball, something that proved to be quite helpful!

Funny, funny stuff!  Here are entirely too many photos from one night at the alley.  "The alley"...see how cool I am now?











 There were lots of these smiles, making the entire evening worth it.  Both my girls shed tears, too but I didn't document that.  :)

Loving this verse, the day after election day...

I urge you, first of all, to pray for all people. Ask God to help them; intercede on their behalf, and give thanks for them. Pray this way for kings and all who are in authority so that we can live peaceful and quiet lives marked by godliness and dignity.

I Timothy 2:1-2

2 comments:

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.