Saturday, November 24, 2012

Thanksgiving, Take Two

We are still getting every ounce out of the holiday weekend that we can but I thought I'd take these couple quiet moments I have to start documenting some of it.

I love Thanksgiving, don't you?  I love that the primary focus is on family and being together with no pressing agenda.

I started the day like I have for the last 11 years...running the Manchester Road Race.  We had perfect weather, which was great for obvious reasons but it also drew a crowd!  15,000 registered runners with spectators lined shoulder to shoulder on either side of the road for the entire 4.748 miles.

So fun, so festive!  People really get into the spirit with outlandish costumes.  I was able to sort of capture a few of the sights with my phone as I was weaving through the mob running.  A few of my favorites, not pictured here, were a lady dressed up as the gingerbread man, a kid with Downs playing his heart out on a drum set at the end of his driveway and a sign that said say Happy Birthday, Emma as you pass...she's turning 5.  A few feet after there was a family wearing birthday hats and a little girl in a chair sporting a birthday crown and a big smile and she waved to the runners.

My SIL Sarah (she's got TWO full marathons under her belt), me, SIL Laryssa and BIL Nathan (who always records a great time, despite no training).  Great tradition!




 Back at the house, things were well under way.




 Amanda worked very hard on the place cards.
 Shaun and his mom do the lion's share of the work every year.  There's never a word of compliant, so I've stopped feeling guilty for shirking my responsibilities.  Truth be told, I have never cooked a turkey.
 Manda Girl was anxious to help with whatever needed doing.  I caught her sneaking a bite...shocker.



 Shaun's family has more sports fanatics than not.  The conversation ALWAYS turns to Red Sox talk when they are together.



 13 adults
 7 kids (we are doing respite care for Z's sister for the weekend...I'm not sure either one cared too much that they were together on Thanksgiving, but I think when they look back it will be meaningful.
 A warm enough day to enjoy being outside...what a treat!













 Z and my nephew Jared get along great...and usually get pretty physical.  Boys!

 The girls found a non-contact activity.
 Dessert!  Uncle Micah makes an apple pie that will make your knees weak.
 Shaun's dad and his wife joined us for dessert.
 We put on a movie in an attempt to calm things a bit.
 The kids chatting with their soon-to-be Grandpa Tom.
 And reading with Nana.
{Contented sigh}...life is good.

2 comments:

  1. Love it! Looks like a fantastic day. All great shots but really like the one of the kids in the back of the truck, so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Happy belated Thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.