Friday, November 4, 2011

Winter Storm...in October

I ventured out for the first time since Sunday.  Shaun told me tales of a "war zone" when he went out to plow that morning.  Of downed trees everywhere, slumped over power lines.  Street lights out at all intersections in decent sized towns.  Nearly one million without power across the state.  Live wires dangling everywhere.  Gas lines hours long, if you can find a gas station that has power.  Crazy apocalypse stuff.

At one point there were over 800,000 people out of power in Connecticut.  Today, seven days later, more than 300,000 are still out.  Many, many schools were closed for the entire week.  All this just six weeks after our state was rocked by Tropical Storm Irene.

Once again, I'm so grateful to live in the city where gas and water are always provided.  I'm also thankful to be one mile from the hospital....our line is a top priority to be powered back up on the rare occasion we go down.  (The mile commute has also been very handy the three times I was in labor. :)

Before I knew the extent of and the affects of the storm, I went out to take pictures and give the kids and dog some exercise.  (Avery was out plowing with her daddy.)  In no way does this truly represent what the storm was, but it DOES represent how it was in my little world.


2 comments:

  1. Having snow that early really is rude! But I love the pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Avery and Aiden - get a kick out him talking.

    LOVE the music for your video too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world.